iPod Touch OS 4 killing anyone else's battery?
Jul 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

soozieq

Headphoneus Supremus
My Touch 2G battery has been draining really fast over the last week or so. On a full charge In standby, I'm getting less than 24 hours before the red battery warning, when before, I could get about a week out of it. So I booked in at the Crapple store for a repair (since it's still under warranty) - and then a while later, I remembered the dying battery coincided with the OS 4 upgrade.

So I did a quick search (which turned out to be my 'friend' for once) - and found other 2G owners were having the same problem. Has anyone else noticed their battery life is pathetic now? Anyway, I found this post on the Mac Forums...

"I have the answer. I took mine in to the Genius Bar yesterday. The answer is to restore but DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Restore and then sync. It fixes the battery problem, but you have to go through and reestablish all your app prefs.

Edit: it was an OS component that continued to run, even in sleep mode, looking for something"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=952632

... so I'm going to try it. Will report back if the battery reverts back to normal.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 32
Look forward to your findings. I turn mine off all the time, so didn't notice it. I don't use auto sync on mine either, but have all my playlists on iTunes, so it would be easy.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 32
This gets a resounding yes from me. iOS 4 brutally murdered my battery life and I was not pleased about it one bit.

I did restore from backup so I'll try restoring completely and seeing if that works better.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 32
My touch's battery life has been a bit worse for wear, and all I've done is use it for tunes - no game play OR videos. Hmmm, and I thought I was alone on this.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
This gets a resounding yes from me. iOS 4 brutally murdered my battery life and I was not pleased about it one bit.

I did restore from backup so I'll try restoring completely and seeing if that works better.

Well, I just restored it (set it up as a new device) so I'll see how it goes. But I read that wifi is now 'persistently' connected with OS4 even in standby so I can't see how restoring it will make any difference. If it doesn't, I'll make sure I get a replacement with the older software on in and never update again!

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 32
same issue here... I find that if I just lock it, it drains. I turn on airplane mode, and turn off wi fi, (I thought thats what airplane mode did on the touch) anyways, thats a work around for now until iOS4.1 comes out, I also try to turn it off to preserve battery, but there is definitely a battery drain issue which I did not experience with 3.1.2

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 32
Yep, my 3GS battery life is pretty bad since going to iOS4 (it is jailbroken too).  I have always restored from backup in the past, and have never had battery issues before.  I am loathe to setup as a new phone as I don't want to lose my scoring in Hold "em (yeah, I know, kind of a stupid reason).

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 32
Good luck reverting to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2, neither work for me (I did restore my 2G Touch to attempt the battery fix). Getting 3194 error when trying to go from 4 to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, as are other Touch owners (see link below).

My main problem is the way it changed the EQ presents (ruined acoustic in my view, and I have two 2G Touches, one with 3.1.3, my wife's, and mine with 4,0. They sound nothing alike, with the 3.1.3 sounding much better with the SM3s).

Anyway, one other suggestion it to try and downgrade using another PC, so once I finish syncing some tracks, I am going to try it and see what happens). I have a feeling there will be a 4.1 very soon, based on all the issues Apple is having with the iPhone, but whether that will fix this OS4 is another story. There are also people saying the upgrade has caused their wifi to disconnect after a few minutes. I set mine on, and the next time I looked, it was off. Lesson learned here. If it works and makes you happy, leave it alone.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2471290&start=15&tstart=0

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 32
The battery on my Touch 2G seems to be dying quicker too.

The wifi issue seems likely though. I'm not sure what else could cause the battery to die as quickly as it does. If I charge mine before I go to sleep, unplug it, sleep, and wake up it's usually down to half or less than half battery life.

I never use the EQ on mine, so I can't comment on that. I think it sounds the same as it did before I updated though? Not EQ'd, that is.

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 32
There are now a billion and seventeen complaints online about the upgrade killing the battery life since OS 4.  I dont' appear to have lost any battery life at all since the restore.... but weirdly, my apps. don't fit properly anymore. The ones that you can put at the bottom of the screen so you can access them no matter what screen you're on, well, mine are too big since the upgrade
confused.gif

The results page!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=&q=ipod+touch+os+4+draining+battery&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_en-GBGB357GB357&ie=UTF-8&aq=0&oq=

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 32
Even less battery life. I am glad I sold my iPod touch 32GB 3rd gen then. Ran for about 10 hours playing music then ran out of battery. Only had it for a few weeks (was brand new when I bought it). I couldn't imagine what this update for it would do...

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm putting mine in Airplane Mode, has this helped anyone,...really? My battery dies much faster, and it does drain while completely off - Apple will hopefully issue an update to address this issue. I mean, they tend to drag their azz when issues arise, then deny they exist. Will we have the same denial problems w/this as well???

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 32
I guess this is as good a time as any to jump on the Sansa Clip/Fuze bandwagon. I will miss the portable internet aspect of it, though, but I guess that's balanced out by not having as much bulk in my pockets (carrying it around with my phone, keys, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back