Ipod touch or Sansa clip? (quality wise)
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Lux Nocte

100+ Head-Fier
  I am currently making a portable rig, and currently I don't think the the power to the jack matters because I am going to get a battery powered portable amp.
  The ipod touch is a nifty device. I use it all the time, but it is hardly a good device for frequent music use. Apple apparently forgot that they where making an mp3 player. So that is where the sansa clip comes in. Not the sony walkman or the zune HD, because I do not have that kind of money at the moment.

Sound quality wise, which is better? Sansa clip or iphone? I have not seen any reviews yet.

Or should I just wait and save up for the rocoo P? (Which I haven't included in the title because I don't even know how many gigs it holds)

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 27
I don't think you should be comparing the two. Music is the common factor among them, yes, but the Touch can do what the Clip cannot, but the Clip can be handled rough because its cheap and simple.

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 27
If you already have the touch, not a lot to gain from the Clip.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 27
The ipod touch appears average until you install one of the highly regarded equalizer apps available. One is simply called 'Equalizer' another  'EQU' and another "SonicMax Pro" I recommend trying these from the app store before deciding on a Clip+. I have both and to be honest the ipod touch sounds better to my ears (but only when using the apps) I mentioned. Without them I would go a Clip+ over it any day. I was about to give up on my touch until I found those apps!

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
If you already have the touch, not a lot to gain from the Clip.

Even the $30 2GB Clip+ has a microSDHC card slot which the Touch lacks. Some people have a Touch with only 8GB. A 32GB microSDHC card to add to the Clip+ is only around $20.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 27
Hmm... 2 cents worth.  I have a Ipod Touch 3G (32G - Cirrus Logic DAC) and a Clip Zip.

If the intention is to build a rig with amplification and stuff then I guess the iTouch is a somewhat better option due to the line-out.  A nice LOD and decent powerful amp will be a great start, with the potential to go much much further over time such as using CLAS.

But, all of these will add greater bulk and weight.  Which is where a Clip comes in.  While its not the most powerful DAP out there, it sounds great with most IEMs and portable headphones unamped.  I have mine rockbox'd the moment I got it, and that adds many nifty features like crossfeed.  Once I got mine, I didn't really feel the need to go back to my iTouch/PA2v2 rig as I'm getting a sound I'm reasonably happy with without the bulk.  So basically, its horses for courses, both serve different purposes.  Both will sound great, but just different.  The Clip is great if you want a small setup.  Unamped, I found the Clip to be that bit more 'fuller' sounding in the bottom end than the iTouch. :)

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 27
I also have a touch 64 gig and a clip plus.  Main reason for getting the clip (aside from curiosity, damn you headfi!) was as a small battery backup to keep in my work bag in case either I a)forgot the touch (which has happened a few times) or b) the touch somehow ran out of juice for the day.

It's cheap enough and small enough to just chuck in the bag and forget about it :)

Cheers

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 27
If the Clip+ is set to volume 0, the headphone out effectively becomes a line out.

The ultimate portable rig for me is Clip+ -> RSA Shadow -> JH-13/UERM.

An amazing portable rig that will sound better than many 60k+ mega systems listed in TAS or any other audiophile magazine that will be about the size of two match boxes.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 27
 It goes to +6 so not all the way up. I haven't checked but 0db on rockbox is likely bit perfect sans digital gain adjustment.

I prefer the touch 3g LOD out but unlike some think, the Clip can be improved by the drive of a good amp. A good amp will sound basically like the clip but with better dynamics, control and weight. Not earth shattering but it can be significant enough in the right package. Even though I prefer the touch as line out, using a clip gives you something that is only one brick instead of 2.

I don't think you need custom programs for the touch unless you need EQ and I have no idea where the fragile idea came from. They hold up better than the Sansas though both are fine. I suppose the touch screen can be broken but it's hard to do and their jacks etc hold up better.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 27
I'm late to the party, got my Clip+ as a present from my amazing wife today...
filled it and the card up. 

Seriously, this little black £20 player sounds infinitely better than any iPod I've owned*, I'm so impressed with it!
Rockboxed within 5 mins of unpacking it :D
Officially, love it, couldn't get it to distort on my kit and sound absolutely amazing with everything I've chucked on it (mp3's or varying quality, flacs and alacs) 

(1) 3rd gen, (2) 1st gen mini, (3) 1st gen nano, (4) 5th gen video, (5) 3rd gen nano, touch, (6) classic 80gb so I think I've earned the right to voice my opinion on iPod quality :D 

(quality wise - 1,6,5,3,4,2)

still got the 3rd gen, minus hdd, 3rd gen nano (which has been round the world playing music on catwalks!), 80gb (minus screen and audio internal cable). 

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 27
If the Clip+ is set to volume 0, the headphone out effectively becomes a line out.

The ultimate portable rig for me is Clip+ -> RSA Shadow -> JH-13/UERM.

An amazing portable rig that will sound better than many 60k+ mega systems listed in TAS or any other audiophile magazine that will be about the size of two match boxes.

Maybe in twenty years when I actually have the 1.4K to spend on pure leisure....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back