iPod touch memory expansion setup for lossless music?
Jul 23, 2019 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

renenkel

New Head-Fier
I have an iPod touch (6th generation) that I would like to set up for playing lossless music files (FLAC or ALAC format). I'd like to attach some sort of expanded memory or external (portable) disk drive so I can store lots of music. (It has the lightning style of connector) If anyone has a setup like this, could you please tell me what you use, or what you would recommend?

If my idea is not feasible, I would consider getting an iPod Classic with the large internal drive, but it would be nice to use my existing iPod if I can.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm only aware of that wireless Seagate portable HDD. Not even sure if they still make these though thanks to Cloud storage, but AFAIK they can play ALAC (double check that though) and need to use the Seagate player app.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks ProtegeManiac! I found one on eBay, will give it a try...

Just double check on ALAC compatibility but AFAIK if it can stream video via WiFi it likely works with lossless, just that it's not an open system that works with other player apps. Although Apple being Apple it might actually work with iTunes (and the seagate app could be more for Android) so double check that too.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 7
According to the manual at https://www.seagate.com/files/www-c.../docs/Seagate Wireless Plus User Guide_EN.pdf

Supported File Types:

For iPads
Video: H.264 video, MPEG-4, Motion-JPEG•Audio: AAC, MP3, M4a, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV•Documents: Microsoft® Office®, iWork®, Adobe® Acrobat® (PDF)•Select files supported by third-party apps

For Laptops, Tablets, and Smartphones
Any files supported by your device applications

So it looks like it should work with ALAC on an iPod?

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 7
According to the manual at https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/external-products/satellite/_shared/docs/Seagate Wireless Plus User Guide_EN.pdf

Supported File Types:

For iPads
Video: H.264 video, MPEG-4, Motion-JPEG•Audio: AAC, MP3, M4a, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV•Documents: Microsoft® Office®, iWork®, Adobe® Acrobat® (PDF)•Select files supported by third-party apps

For Laptops, Tablets, and Smartphones
Any files supported by your device applications

So it looks like it should work with ALAC on an iPod?

Looks like it. Now all there is to it is get one and set it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back