iPod Touch LOD Sound Quality- Is it THAT Good?
Mar 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Darksyde

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a happy owner of a beautiful Cowon O2, and love the sound quality of it. However, my birthday is coming up, and I've been eyeing an iPod Touch for the longest time- between the unparalleled UI, as well as the apps... what can I say? I'm tempted as hell to get one, but my only reservation is the sound quality. Having had sold my kidneys to fund this hobby, my primary concern is the sound, and having read about LODs for iPods, I want to know if anyone has any insight to offer regarding how an LODed iPod compares to a Cowon, S:Flo, Sony X series, and the like.

Keep in mind that I listen to full-sized headphones (Grado HF2's), and use an iBasso D10 as an amp.

Mark

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 20
Ipod LOD needs an amp with that to enjoy quality music and as you mentioned that you already have one. I do not find it a bad deal to replace your cowon with an LOD.
Go for it and have a great Birthday
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 20
Well since you're gonna use it for more than music I say that you should go ahead and get one... but the SQ?

It's really good... but for pure SQ there are other players out there that beat it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by eron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. Ipod touch is no good. 3GS is better.

That is true (3GS >= 7G Classic > Touch)
But I don't think the OP is looking for a phone right now :/

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 20
IMHO the sound from my ipod 5G didn't change very much when I ran my V0 files through the line-out. To be fair, I used a Cmoy with it, but the headphones were of the better sort, like K500, K701, DT-880. Probably my hearing is off - hardly possible, I can hear up to 56300 Hz
wink.gif
-; or maybe the amp makes a "dramatic" difference, but I doubt it. Or maybe it's just my mistake not to use lossless files. So, no, a dock won't improve the sq greatly. So far, I preferred almost any non-apple player, fuze, clip, d2, s9 and currently Samsung P3, that is, (except maybe the nano 3G) I had to the apple ones. My top two in term of sq are s9 and P3. I had the touch 2G and the sound was average at best. Better listen for yourself and then decide. I sold mine as I didn't use it for anything but music - and, as I said, for that purpose there are way better choices out there. The excitement about the touch soon wore off in my case, but that may be a matter of preference.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO the sound from my ipod 5G didn't change very much when I ran my V0 files through the line-out. To be fair, I used a Cmoy with it, but the headphones were of the better sort, like K500, K701, DT-880. Probably my hearing is off - hardly possible, I can hear up to 56300 Hz
wink.gif
-; or maybe the amp makes a "dramatic" difference, but I doubt it. Or maybe it's just my mistake not to use lossless files. So, no, a dock won't improve the sq greatly. So far, I preferred almost any non-apple player, fuze, clip, d2, s9 and currently Samsung P3, that is, (except maybe the nano 3G) I had to the apple ones. My top two in term of sq are s9 and P3. I had the touch 2G and the sound was average at best. Better listen for yourself and then decide. I sold mine as I didn't use it for anything but music - and, as I said, for that purpose there are way better choices out there. The excitement about the touch soon wore off in my case, but that may be a matter of preference.

I'm not sure that the above analysis works if you are using a Cmoy. I don't think that lets you conclude "So, no, a dock won't improve the sq greatly."

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 20
I don't think LOD from iPod Touch is THAT good at all. Compare to my D10 or TC-7520 this is low end source.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 20
INMHO, I think an amp makes all the difference in the world. That's assuming your using good headphones. I have 3 amps and can hear a difference between each of them. I have not heard a C-Moy but a high quality amp thru the LOD DOES make a difference. The amps have gotten so small, they are hardly an inconvenience. A high quality LOD and amp turn the Touch into a great sounding player. This is just my opinion but I think there are many on here who would agree with me.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 20
I'm going to need a cellphone this year, as I may be walking to high school, so I may kill two birds with one stone and get an iPhone. That being the case, I would hold out for the fourth generation that is being released this summer (AMOLED screen, anyone?).

I hope it at least will sound good as the 3GS (which apparently sounds better than the Touch o_O).

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 20
Darksyde, I obviously can't comment on the next iPhone but Apple have been consistently improving SQ so it is probably a good bet that it will be at least as good as the 3GS line out.

The 3GS line out with a good amp is excellent. Listening to it right now.
ksc75smile.gif

The nice thing about the 3GS is that the headphone out is also very very good. Running around town, it is plenty good enough. Also much easier to answer calls on the fly. When I am sitting down at a cafe and can eally relax and enjoy music, the line out takes it to the next level. Incremental but meaningful improvements. The lower bass is deeper and better controlled, more snap in the treble, and more air between the instruments in the soundstage. (All of these observations are with the Headsix which is a good little amp and the Triple-fi's.)

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 20
I can only recommend getting the iTouch. I use it when I am on the road, to check my mail, to study and best of all... as a remote for my squeezebox!

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 20
You're interested in SQ? Forget the touch, I took mine back I so disliked the thin, compressed FM radio sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back