Ipod Touch + Livewires + which portable amp?
Oct 27, 2007 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

essasin

Head-Fier
So I've been reading thread after thread the last week or so and I finally decided on a set of plugs. Now I am overwhelmed with the amount of portable amps on the market and their characteristics. I want to spend around 100-200 dollars and so far mini^3 is ahead at the moment and the pa2v2 looks very promising below 100 dollars. I am not sure if I can wait the 3 months for a xin supermicro and the new ibasso amp has been taken off their site. I know the move is very popular as well but discontinued.

As you can see I am very overwhelmed with the choices and would like some help figuring all this out. I listen to a lot of classical, jazz to relax, and rock, hip hop, house, trace, etc when I work out. My budget is around 100-200 bucks.

My next step is to look into the ALO product line but does anyone have a quick suggestions to improve sq. I'll soon head over to mobile forum but thought I could get a head start.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 19
Get a Meier Headsix. It's right in the middle of your budget ($165 shipped/paypal'd) and has the SQ of the move, which is argueably the best amp on the market sans your baller PRII's and Lisa III's.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Meier Headsix. It's right in the middle of your budget ($165 shipped/paypal'd) and has the SQ of the move, which is argueably the best amp on the market sans your baller PRII's and Lisa III's.

I was just reading up on that thread but I didn't go through the whole thing. I just assumed that it was already sold it from its limited run. Unfortunately I could not find anyone who paired it will livewires yet.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 19
Check with HeadphoneAddict, I think he posted impressions of his Livewires and a Headsix amp

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 19
Yah, listening to my Touch and Livewires via Headsix right now, via ALO jumbo cryo x silver LOD - highly recommended!

My Headstage Lyrix Total Pro and RSA Tomahawk are a close second...

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, listening to my Touch and Livewires via Headsix right now, via ALO jumbo cryo x silver LOD - highly recommended!

My Headstage Lyrix Total Pro and RSA Tomahawk are a close second...

Perfect! I searched your name for posts and happen to come across a few of them about the livewires. Did you find any minor problems or areas where this setup could improve upon?

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 19
I think the LW and Headsix make a good combo. I don't have any complaints with the Touch with ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod LOD.

Obviously upgrading the source from the Touch with ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod LOD to an iMod would make a big improvement, as does using a good DAC from my CD player or macbook to input into the Headsix.

I think other than the iMod that I am all set for portable audio, but while I've done an A-B comparison of my SE500's vs Westone 3, I'll have to listen to the W3 next to my Livewires before I decide if I am done.

I probably will next focus on a home DAC/AMP for my bedroom with my recabled HD600's.

Oct 27, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the LW and Headsix make a good combo. I don't have any complaints with the Touch with ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod LOD.

Obviously upgrading the source from the Touch with ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod LOD to an iMod would make a big improvement, as does using a good DAC from my CD player or macbook to input into the Headsix.

I think other than the iMod that I am all set for portable audio, but while I've done an A-B comparison of my SE500's vs Westone 3, I'll have to listen to the W3 next to my Livewires before I decide if I am done.

I probably will next focus on a home DAC/AMP for my bedroom with my recabled HD600's.

Sweet. I plan on using an LOD in the future with the headsix amp. Although I would love an imod I already have a touch and I love the UI on the touch and its versatility after jailbreaking. After reading your reviews and a few others I decided that I was set on the Livewires. But, like everything we get into, we are never done and set on the upgrade path. The only solution to this is to stop visiting the review forums or theards. I learned this the hard when I got into computer hardware and then photography. It never ends!

How are you transporting the touch and headsix. Did you velcro them together? I have not figured out how to set everything up. For the most part I will be wearing the armband when I workout and underneath my jacket when I am out and about. I was looking into getting a classic case to put the amp in if and when I do decide to use an amp, and strap it along next to the touch. I have to figure out another setup but so far this will be a decent option.

I actually went to John's office this morning and he did my impressions. He is really easy to talk to and everything smoothly. I ordered the clears with the black faceplate, and the black connectors. There where a good number of orders finished so if you are expecting any livewires, your wait might be finally over.

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 19
I ordered a headsix for my ipod video + livewires setup too lol

I'm wondering what are the straps people use to hold their setup together.. kind of look like the bracelets 'livestrong' that used to be popular lol

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm wondering what are the straps people use to hold their setup together.. kind of look like the bracelets 'livestrong' that used to be popular lol

I've been looking around and I have seen that an velcro. When I take the plunge for an amp I will be looking high and low for a configuration. Are you using a line out dock by chance and which one did you use? I would really like to hear your opinions about the headsix and livewires when you get the chance.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by essasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet. I plan on using an LOD in the future with the headsix amp. Although I would love an imod I already have a touch and I love the UI on the touch and its versatility after jailbreaking. After reading your reviews and a few others I decided that I was set on the Livewires. But, like everything we get into, we are never done and set on the upgrade path. The only solution to this is to stop visiting the review forums or theards. I learned this the hard when I got into computer hardware and then photography. It never ends!

How are you transporting the touch and headsix. Did you velcro them together? I have not figured out how to set everything up. For the most part I will be wearing the armband when I workout and underneath my jacket when I am out and about. I was looking into getting a classic case to put the amp in if and when I do decide to use an amp, and strap it along next to the touch. I have to figure out another setup but so far this will be a decent option.

I actually went to John's office this morning and he did my impressions. He is really easy to talk to and everything smoothly. I ordered the clears with the black faceplate, and the black connectors. There where a good number of orders finished so if you are expecting any livewires, your wait might be finally over.

I velcro'd the Headsix to the Touch, and slid them into an old "slip case" that came with an old Compaq iPaq pocket PC from years ago, which has a hard insert on the screen side to protect a screen from breakage. Fits like a glove.

You could probably leave the amp out of the equation during a work out, and just use the Touch in an armband. The Livewires will sound fine directly out of the Touch, for the times when you can't sit back and listen with your eyes closed and enjoy.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Grocery stores use the straps to tie brocolli and asparagus bundles together
cool.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by essasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking around and I have seen that an velcro. When I take the plunge for an amp I will be looking high and low for a configuration. Are you using a line out dock by chance and which one did you use? I would really like to hear your opinions about the headsix and livewires when you get the chance.

Sadly I left out the part my future ipod+livewire set-up. I'm planning on getting the livewires for christmas, so it seems you'll be the one to give my your opinion on the headsix+livewires
icon10.gif

Headphone addict, sadly here it seems they use large elastics which don't look half the good
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Sadly I left out the part my future ipod+livewire set-up. I'm planning on getting the livewires for christmas, so it seems you'll be the one to give my your opinion on the headsix+livewires
icon10.gif

Headphone addict, sadly here it seems they use large elastics which don't look half the good
frown.gif

I can't wait to get my grubby hands and ears on them. If I can find some rubber bands or other options I will remember to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back