iPod touch: Hands On Review
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nickknutson

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay guys, I've had some time with this puppy now and I can tell you my first impressions.
As you all know, the cool factor is there...wi-fi, iTunes, etc. But I'm going to focus mainly on the SQ initially, since that's what most of us want to know...and get to the other features when I really have some time to play with it.

SQ: Top of the list of things I noticed was that the quality of sound is really dependant on the quality of bitrate and quality of the recording. I've been listening to it for a little while now shifting between Apple Lossless files and songs I downloaded from iTunes (which isn't many, but I've got a few) and quality is night and day...it's not even close! I've been comparing it to my 3G & 2G nanos and in my opinion, it betters both of them...more the 2G than the 3G. There is a slight hiss, but it seems to disappear when the song is playing. And yes, I do realize that the song covers it up when music is playing, but I'm really focusing on areas of the song that are silent...or atleast intended to be silent. With the nanos there is a very slight hiss, but with the touch, it's blackness is surprising.

Wi-fi: I've been playing with the wi-fi and it seems as advertised, really quick loading pages. I even popped into iTunes with it and it loaded the sample of the song quickly...it didn't sound very good, but it worked. I went to espn.com and usually that's a page that takes awhile to load on laptop, but the touch loaded it with ease...at about the same rate as my laptop using wireless!
UPDATE: Okay, this thing is flippin' cool! I just went to Netflix and adjusted my queue...flawlessly!

I'll keep adding to this as my day goes on...and I will add more photos when I get home this afternoon.

DSC03387.jpg

DSC03388.jpg

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Quick question. Is the user interface as fast as the iPhone? I fine the new nano and classic are slow and hang and even skip in the sound sometimes.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question. Is the user interface as fast as the iPhone? I fine the new nano and classic are slow and hang and even skip in the sound sometimes.

Yes, the navigation is quite responsive. It's on par with the iPhone.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 8
How is video playback on it, is it relatively smooth? Also, how is the range of the built-in wifi?

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the iTouch have the same recessed headphone out on the iPhone? Thanks

Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back