Ipod Touch + FiiO E7 USB DAC = Laptop Quality?
May 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

reticon

Head-Fier
After going through several sources, I've settled on the Ipod touch. It sounds the closest to plugging right into my laptop. So my question... Will using a portable headphone amp give me the extra bit of "omph" that my laptop gives me? I listen to music at low volumes so it is all about sound quality for me. I'll list the cans I use and previous sources below if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Beyer T70p
Beyer DT-1350
Senny HD 380 Pro

Previous sources were the Cowon J3 (way to bright, not impress with BBE fake bass) and the Samsung Galaxy S (noise and hiss from poor signal to noise ratio on T70p)

May 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Wait, you like your laptop sound? Most head-fiers complain about that. In my own experience, its not that nice, and there's no 'oomph' to be had as long as your headphones are powered properly. Most of that extra power comes from the louder levels the amp can be played at.

May 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, it's a sound blaster X-Fi card, I know it may not agree with some, but I dig it. I just keep seeing pictures of iPod Touches strapped to FiiO's and the really expensive Fostex HP-P1 Amp and DAC... I ask myself, "OK, does this really help the fullness of the sound or do these guys just like it to be balls out LOUD!?"

Hehe, either is cool, I'd just like to know. If it is fullness, then time to order me a DAC / Amp!

If it is just about being able to go loud or drive 600 Ohm headphones I'll pass. Mine are 32, 50, and 80 Ohms :)

May 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Ok, thanks for clearing that, SB should be pretty good.
Well, normally, when most of us use amps, we tend to just compare the amp vs no amp, without level matching. Which means that the amp is sometimes louder, and sounds fuller. Other than that, if you're looking for bass/treble EQ, you can do it with the amp. But neutral amps will sound almost the same as the source. 32, 50 and 80 Ohms are pretty ok, and if the sensitivity is >100db/Mw, its pretty efficient already.

May 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 5
The AMPs+Dock cables helps to improve the soundquality in genral (BTW quality dock cable is important too and i will recommend the 18AWG, 22AWG CXS or Pure Cryo dock cable). But DAC part of AMPs won't work with iPod Touch and it will work with laptop through USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back