iPod Touch - Battery life
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Artmuzz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently bought an iPod Touch 2G 32GB and I am not that impressed with the battery life.

I connected it to my iMac and left it to charge until the "plug" icon appeared on the battery (which I assume means the battery is fully charged).

I then used my iPod Touch for browsing the internet for about 1 hour then did some music on Noise.io and Beatmaker for about 10 minutes which are fantastic music making apps for the Touch. A couple of hours later I browsed the internet again for about another hour but I have noticed that the battery has only 20% charge left
frown.gif
So basically I am only getting around 2 hours use of my Ipod Touch before I get the warning telling me that the battery has only 20% charge left.

Is anyone else having this problem too?

Art

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 32
you know, i was just about to post the same thing. claims to have same battery life as my ipod classic, i even had wifi turned off and i turn off the screen when it's in my pocket, and it can't even last the day i'm at uni.

i use lossless (same as on my classic), and that classic used to last well into 3 days without charge. not impressed the least. i have the same ipod as you. why is there no 64GB version?

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 32
Wi fi is always gonna kill the battery much quicker than listening to music. Especially if you are using a weak signal because it constantly has to search for it.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 32
I have wi-fi switched off if I'm listening to music, and can get around 20 hours minimum before getting a battery warning. If I'm playing around with it, and wi-fi is on, I still get around 10/15 hours. But when I'm not using it, I always switch it off via the 'sleep/wake' button at the top. I noticed a sharp drop in battery life if I didn't power it off completely. The 36-hour claim is just that, a claim - and probably only relates to 128kbps files, with wi-fi off, brightness set to minimum and of course no touching at ALL during those 36 hours!! Not quite real-world usage, so whenever I see any claims about battery life, I just halve it, and then add 2. It's more accurate that way
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 32
I can surf via wifi for about 3-4 hours on a charge (which is more than I can stand in one day on a 4" screen so its plenty.) Two hours or less seems abnormal to me.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 32
I always switch my iPod Touch off when I am not using it and still I only seem to get around 2 Hours use out of it until the battery warning appears telling me i have on 20% Battery life left.

Art

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 32
One more question... Is the iPod Touch supposed to be switched on or off when charging?

Art

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artmuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question... Is the iPod Touch supposed to be switched on or off when charging?

It shouldn't matter. It might take slightly longer to recharge if on vs. off, but otherwise it's of no importance.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 32
Thanks for the replies.

I am going to test my iPod Touch battery life again and if I am still getting only around 2 hours battery life with using Wi-Fi and making music then its back to Tesco.

Art

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 32
OK, I have played music constantly on my iPod Touch for over 2 hours and the battery is still at full
smily_headphones1.gif

I will browse the net on it and make some music and see if there is any difference there.

Art

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 32
i get near or better the rated spec with my touch 2g for music and for my 1g, got up to 28 hours of MUSIC.

for web, it is usually about 2-4 hours and for games, 1,5-4 hours tops. simcity, 3d games etc will kill battery life. for games, it needs the mains adapter as they drain that small battery far too quickly but for music, definately get around or better than the rated advertisement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back