iPod Touch anyone?
Sep 12, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 8
I've ordered one and am not so worried about the sound quality.

I do al my critical listening at home, so if it's as good as my past iPods I'll be happy.

That screen and the web browsing were the main selling points for me. Now I will only need to take my notebook to work if i have to burn CDs, write documents etc.

Can't wait.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 8
The screen and wifi def sold me but I was also wondering about SQ.

Do any of the current iPods compare to the 1G Shuffle in sq? I only own a 4G iPod and the shuffle wins by a long shot.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 8
I would like an ipod touch too. It would be my first ipod ever, because I always avoided ipod because of the poor SQ.

Now the ipod touch has a very nice formfactor, good UI and above all nice graphics and a web browser! It's a sweet device. The other ipod's don't attract me at all. In fact, I dislike them as much as the older ipods.

So I'm too very curious to the SQ of the ipod touch.

greetz

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 8
While I've never used the iPhone as a direct comparison to my iPod-- I was checking it out at a friend's place. I can say that from vague memory, it seemed to be nearly as good as the iPod video I have. The apparent champ on SQ is the iPod classic, but I doubt that the iPod touch would be that far behind.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 8
i do hope it is good as well. some people complained that the iphone hissed heaps with sensitive iems - e500 and um2 so that would be trouble as i don't want to carry an amp as well.

as for ipod sounding rubbish, mate you have not heard one in yonks eh? g5 ipod saw major improvements to an ipod that was already not far behind or ahead of other players; it was middle of the pack. it only matters what your ears hear i guess since ipod has consistently done well in hardware tests in fact, at the top - above 'great sounding' players (which often just coincides with a poor signal to noise ratio).

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Well,

I've heard the 3G ipod, the 4G ipod, the 5.5G ipod and the 1G nano and to me they all sound bad. very thin and flat. There's also not much of a soundstage in them. It's (as always) a personal opinion. But I've certainly had better Dap's. Like Sony HI-MD units, sony Walkman series (NW-A805 NW-S703) and Cowon players.

The SNR is very good. The sony have a bad SNR indeed, but the Cowon shines with a Wolfson DAC, telechips SoC and thus a 95dB SNR. But it's not just that. It's the combo of DAC, SoC, Circuit, AMP etc. to get good SQ. (Cowon D2 has 74mW AMP) The older ipods just didn't sound the way they look and handle. And I've always considered that a shame. Especially with the new touch. It's a great device, hopefully with good SQ.

greetz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back