iPod Touch 5gen, Sony Walkman NWZ-F806 or iPod Classic 7gen?
Aug 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vidaluk0

New Head-Fier
Hello, my iPod Nano 4gen just passed away and I'm thinking on getting a new portable music player.

I've heard about the Wolfson vs Cirrus Logic audio chips and all those things but I don't know how the NWZ F806 compares.

Which one do you suggest?

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 5
It depends of what phones are you want to use.
For example Sony has a good stock IEMs, iTouch5 has a good phones too. 
All iPods sounds good with most phones, Sony (HiFiman, Cowon, etc) not.
Wolfson players has some warmth = more melodical, Cirrus players has more analytical sound.

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm really curious about this too. It would be great if someone could shed some light on this.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm says "Wasting time with "Audiophile" DACs and other fluff usually degrades the sound more than just using the self-powered iPod Touch 5G directly as a source." This seems like very detailed and plausible review.

I have iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, and most of my lossless collections are in ALAC. It would make my life much easier to just use iPod touch. I purchased F806 after hearing that there is a big difference between iPod and F806. I guess I'll find out after I receive the items and try it but I want to know if F806 sounds a lot better than iPod touch 5g.

I'll not be using portable DAC when I'm outside (too much hassle) and I'll be using AKG K3003i (I also heard the remote on K3003 is only compatible with ios devices)

Thanks for your insight!

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 5
I had the 805. I can tell you that the 5th gen iPod Touch has a flat frequence response and higher gain. I returned the Sony. I was sad to see another Walkman disappointment for me. 3rd gen iPad sounds great too BTW.

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I had the 805. I can tell you that the 5th gen iPod Touch has a flat frequence response and higher gain. I returned the Sony. I was sad to see another Walkman disappointment for me. 3rd gen iPad sounds great too BTW.

I see... What was the reason behind the disappointment and return of the Sony? Which DAP are you using now? Do you use DAC with your DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back