iPod Touch 4th gen as a source?
Jul 31, 2012 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thesuperguy

100+ Head-Fier
I have only recently become involved in this audiophiliac behavior and I'm beginning to shave off the rough edges of my what you would call "rig". I purchased the vsonic gr99 and my only source of music is currently my ipod touch 4th gen. Now I'm pretty sure my ipod can handle driving my vsonic but I'm wondering how the ipod compares to other portable sources and if there is any way to improve the ipod as a source in the first place. I have already loaded my ipod with ALAC.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 12
iPod's are fairly decent as portable sources. Until you start spending a lot more money, you are unlikely to hear much of a difference from a better source. The one problem that you might have is a little bit of hiss with your IEM.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I have only recently become involved in this audiophiliac behavior and I'm beginning to shave off the rough edges of my what you would call "rig". I purchased the vsonic gr99 and my only source of music is currently my ipod touch 4th gen. Now I'm pretty sure my ipod can handle driving my vsonic but I'm wondering how the ipod compares to other portable sources and if there is any way to improve the ipod as a source in the first place. I have already loaded my ipod with ALAC.

You have to spend a lot more money to get a player significantly better than the 4th gen Touch. 

One inexpensive thing you could do is explore one of the many equalizer apps available. Then, if you still feel like you need to do more, you could explore the line-out cable-->portable amp method, which is quite popular. But take it slow.....don't upgrade just because you can, only do it if you are unhappy with what you are hearing. It's easy to spend way too much money on this hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 12
I've heard that the audio processor in the older ipods made by wolfson is better than the ones made by cirrus. Is this still the case? My ipod currently hosts the Cirrus Logic CS42L61.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 12
The ipod touch 4th gen and the iphone 4 both have the Cirrus Logic CS42L61 but the newer iphone 4s has the Cirrus Logic CLI1560B0.

I doubt that we would hear a significant difference between these processors.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 12
My wife has an iTouch 4g and I've tried the LOD into my portable amp and triple-fis.

Pro:
- Bass is tight with great exension
- Bass, mids and highs well balanced
- Good instrument separation

Con:
- At first you think it's very detailed, but after repeated listening, detail resolution is just acceptable
- A bit artificial sounding (possibly an attempt to give the impression of better detail resolution)
- Not the most musical source I've ever heard

The only sources I can compare it to are my Rio Karma and various CD players, all of which were more musical than the iTouch. However I would still rate the iTouch 4g as a great portable source - and I am a self confessed Apple-phobe!

(Running my triple-fi from the headphone out, everything sounded loser and more congested, but still not bad)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back