iPod Touch 3G: How the Hell Do You Charge This Thing?
Apr 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nathanbrand

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a new iPod Touch 64 GB.

So far the only way I've been able to charge it is with the supplied proprietary cable plugged into my powered-up PC running Win XP. If I turn the PC off: no charging occurs. I have external AC-powered hubs by Sandisk and Belkin that work fine for all my other MP3 players (Creative, Sansa, Microsoft), but not for the Touch.

Is there any way around this? Are there wall chargers that will work with the latest Touches? I've read online that 3G devices require some sort of "official" activation signal from a USB host before they'll start charging, so that externally powered "dumb" USB hubs won't work.

I really don't want to have my computer on just to charge my Touch. Environmentally, that's unacceptable.

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 11
Copied from Apple.com :

iPhone and iPod touch have an internal rechargeable battery. To charge the battery, choose one of the options below:

* Connect the device to your computer (not your keyboard) using the included cable to charge the battery and sync. Your computer must be turned on and not in sleep or standby mode. If the device is connected to a computer that's not turned on or is in sleep or standby mode, the battery may drain.
* Connect iPhone or iPod touch to a power outlet using the included cable and a USB power adapter to charge the battery.

Note: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch (2nd generation), and iPod touch (Late 2009) do not support FireWire and will not charge from any FireWire-based power source. If you connect either of these devices to a FireWire-based charger or accessory, you will receive the alert screen below:

Apr 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 11
My son charges his w/any ac adapter. connected to the iPod cable. He's even used my Sony charger, all w/no probs.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My son charges his w/any ac adapter. connected to the iPod cable. He's even used my Sony charger, all w/no probs.

Do you know if he has the 3G Touch with the 3.1.3 firmware?

I think the older touches are fine, and this only impacts the newest ones. I just purchased mine. The model number is MC011LL.

From what I've been able to find out and my own experience, it appears that you must use an "Apple" USB charger on these models.

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need the USB power adapter by Apple. My friend has the same problem with his iphone 3gs, he can't use my generic charger but his apple one works.

you need to add two resistors on generic USB charger if you want to use it to charge your ipod touch. I will check my USB charger to confirm where the resistors connected..

May 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanbrand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased a new iPod Touch 64 GB.

I have an Apple wall charger that works on my new ipod 32 GB. You can buy ipod docks (really, they are clock radios<g>) that will charge them while they are docked. If you have an ipod connector in your car audio system, that will also charge it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back