Ipod Touch 2g vs Ipod Mini 1g vs iPod Nano 3g vs iPod Nano 2g
Jul 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

my2crazy

New Head-Fier
Just thought I would toss these comparisons out there since I happen to own them all. If anyone needs more info on one of these older players let me know. This is all subjective of course.

Used some Apple loss-less files, The Beatles, Beethoven, Bjork and Alice in Chains. Straight to Grado SR80. If you use an amp from the "line out", much of this could be different.

I thought the iPod Nano 2g was the worse of the lot. I only A and B'd it against the others for a moment before giving up on it. Giving it to my 6 year old daughter to play with from now on.

The iPod Nano 3g was noticeably better than the 2g. I don't think it's really worth using for head-fi, but not a bad player though for less than head-fi environments.. I plan on using it to run with. (ok bass, ok mids, ok detail, but not really great at any of it in my opinion)

The Mini 1g surprised me. It is the oldest of the iPods, but I think I can hear details more clearly in it than any of the others; however, it was really lacking in mids and bass. The Mini also had some lag in the software(it is pretty old...) 

The iPod touch 2g was not quite as good with portraying detail as the Mini 1g, but it was fairly close. The mids and bass were both far better though making this the best player out of these four.

....the things I do when I am bored...

edit: changed mini 2g to mini 1g

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Hm interesting thread. Thanks for posting your impressions! Have you tried listening to the iPods with a LOD? I have read that they [iPods] actually do sound much better when the LOD is used.

I own the 2G iPod Touch right now (jailbroken of course
etysmile.gif
) and I'm hoping to upgrade to a better media player soon (perhaps the Cowon J3).

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 6
The Touch 2g is my main player right now and I too am looking to upgrade..Perhaps the J3. If it was cheaper for the 32 gb version I probably would have gotten it already. I have heard good things about the lod on the ipods and I currently have a Fiio E11 and lod cable coming in the mail. I will compare them again once that arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back