Ipod touch 2g line out does not work?!?
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
I had heard some charging peripherals don't work with the new Touches, but I can't get any simple line out accessory to work with it (Sendstation Pocketdock as well as another line out cable). Anyone else having these issues? The Sendstation website says it's compatible with all Touches. This thing might be going back (which is too bad because I really like it otherwise).

After a little more research, I think this is a case of it just being incompatible with some accessories. The line out to my car stereo's USB works just fine (ipod says accessory connected). I just picked up the ipod today, so I'm wondering if the newer batches have somehow been made incompatible with some older line out accessories. This still concerns me a bit, as I'm still stuck with no way to feed the line out to an amp.

Can anyone confirm their pocketdock works with a 2g? If so, what did you end up going with as a replacement?

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 10
Wow, that was quick. Right after I did my first post, I sent an email to Sendstation. 15 minutes later I got a response back saying that only some revisions of the pocketdock work, and that only ones purchased later than november 2007 directly from the website are guaranteed to work. Hope this helps anyone else, and confirms my theory that older accessories just might not work.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks r3m1x but unfortunately I tried that too. The fact that sendstation says it won't work if I bought it a while back (which I did) makes me think I'm just SOL. I ordered another one that they guaranteed would work, so we'll see. I am just glad my car stereo isn't similarly affected, which considering it was made before the 2g touches came out and still plays fine, just confuses me even more. Perhaps probably because it is getting the actual file via USB and using its own DAC to play instead of using the line out signal.

Direct quote from sendstation support:

"We have introduced an iPhone-enabled revision of the PocketDock Line Out USB on Nov. 29, 2007. It provides Line Out from all iPhone and iPod models and generations. The PocketDock Line Out USB shipped before that date does not provide Line Out from the iPhone nor 4G nano nor 2G touch."

Hopefully you got yours after that date or they just snowed me into buying another one.
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 10
No the issue is that since the 2G touch has a speaker the ipod now needs to know if it should route the sound through the LOD or the speaker. In order to do that one pin (i believe pin 22) needs to be pulled to ground. I had a similar issue with LOD I made for myself, easy enough fix though.

The charging thing is that the ipod's will no longer charge from the firewire inputs, which really sucks for car adapters because firewire power is 12V so on car adapters that charged they almost always used the firewire power since it required little work. The usb power requires a voltage regulator for 5V, not a huge deal but a bit more parts and work.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 10
I got an iPhone 3g/3gs line out dock. Stripped of its housing, it works fine on an iPod Photo 4G. It won't work with an iPod Touch 2G MC. 

Then I read this:

"iPod Touch 2G requires pin 11 connected to 15/16, then connect that to pin 21 with a 68kOhm resistor to use the audio line out. This is because the device needs to be told to redirect the signal to the Line Out pins rather than to the built-in speaker."

From here:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

If I do this mod, will the dock still work with my iPod Photo 4G Color? Will it do any damage to other iPods I will test?

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Stupid me. I re-read the thread and turned off the iPod Touch BEFORE connecting to the dock. Dock works fine now. Anemic LOL. A noticeable difference from the iPod 4G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back