Ipod to RCA cable or Ipod Dock to RCA?
Jan 16, 2010 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sinofsins

New Head-Fier
I'm planning to have a stationary set up at home. Is it better to hook up an Ipod Classic using Ipod to RCA cable to a headphone amp or Ipod connected to a dock and using 2 RCA/interconnect cables to headphone amp?

Please enlighten me if there will be sound quality differences between the 2 setups. Also is it worth it to spend more on silver rca/interconnect cables than copper? Thanks.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 2
If you use a LOD to RCA to connect to your amp, it will send an analog line level signal to the amp.
If you use a dock, unless it takes a digital signal and has a DAC built in itself (for instance, the Wadia iPod thing), it will be the same, though it would look better in most cases.

Regarding cables, it's a topic that is disagreed upon here. Some people say there is a difference between cables and some say there isn't. I'd say the best way is to listen yourself and see if you hear a difference. Also, if you can hear a difference, it doesn't necessarily mean silver will be better than copper just because of cost. It comes down largely to preference.
I would also say to spend on central gear (player, amp, dac, etc) first before spending on cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back