ipod to home amp cables
Jun 11, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hook
That's the point, we're looking for a quality cable/connector Sik Ram Din but with USB instead of firewire. At least, I am.

Until then (looking into making one myself), I'm using a couple different versions of SIK cables.

For those following this who may be interested, see my IC post in the "for sale" forums for a Mint condition (used lightly for 1 week) Sendstation PocketDock.

Andrew

Maybe you are not familiar with pocketdock. They have three versions, one has an USB as well as a line out. Which is what I was pointing out on my previous post. Here are all three:

pocketdock1.jpg

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Maybe you are not familiar with pocketdock. They have three versions, one has an USB as well as a line out. Which is what I was pointing out on my previous post. Here are all three:

I'm familiar with them - as I said I own one (and I'm selling it). You missed a key requirement we listed - a connector that is the same thickness as a "standard" iPod cable connector.

- locking, original thickness dock connection for line-out
- separate cable for USB or FireWire for charging
- high quality cables and terminations
- since I bet it's custom, could probably be made whatever length needed

Problem (for me) with the PocketDock products is the thickness of the connector means it doesn't work well if my Ipod is in it's case. Also, the connector doesn't lock, it's spring-loaded which means it can pull out fairly easily.

Anyone is interested, I'm selling a mint PocketDock that is the lineout/USB config. Used 5 days, all original parts and packaging. PM me.

thanks,
Andrew

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #18 of 30
Well the best or at least nearest in size and good locking and available for custom cables, is this connector:

White.jpg

The locking of this connector is really sturdy, it won't come off unless unlocked by hand. The size... wel it is a little bigger then the original small apple ones.

This connectors is used by most cable builders as well.

I do not do USB or Firewire but you could ask Ken, from ipodlineout.

Good luck Hans

Jun 15, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw
Well the best or at least nearest in size and good locking and available for custom cables, is this connector:

Thanks Hans!

Actually, I think that's the same connector I recently bought to make my own. We'll see how it turns out - I don't need to charge and listen at the same time very often, and have a car charger that works....

thanks,
Andrew

Jun 18, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

White.jpg

The locking of this connector is really sturdy, it won't come off unless unlocked by hand. The size... wel it is a little bigger then the original small apple ones.

This connectors is used by most cable builders as well.

I do not do USB or Firewire but you could ask Ken, from ipodlineout.

Good luck Hans

But you can not charge the iPod thru that connector.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
But you can not charge the iPod thru that connector.

You cannot even do audio via 'that' connector! it is for DYI building!

So if you are able to solder wires to the right pins, you surely can charge the iPod listen to your music at the same time.
Even USB and firewire should be possible.

But like I said. I only do Audio out cables.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #23 of 30
with those official lineouts with the usb im assuming that you can use a normal usb cable to go into the dock thing which will allow it to charge, am i right????

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicsun
with those official lineouts with the usb im assuming that you can use a normal usb cable to go into the dock thing which will allow it to charge, am i right????

Yes.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 30
sorry for heaps of questions, but is there going to be a noticeable downgrade in audio when using charge and lineout? also what difference in sound quality would there be between this and a TURBOdock 2 or 3

Jun 19, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by magicsun
sorry for heaps of questions, but is there going to be a noticeable downgrade in audio when using charge and lineout? also what difference in sound quality would there be between this and a TURBOdock 2 or 3

No problem, glad to help. That is why the forum is here.

Now, my personal opinion:

Yes, I find that when charging is taking place a lot of times a soft humm and some interference can be heard for example on classical music and very soft passages.

Also a dock solution (any dock! and not specifically TURBO's) brings an extra connection (female to male 3.5 jack) which can only bring sound propogation problems. Any extra connection is another possible weak link in the audio path and should preferably be avoided.

But you should see what the whole chain consists of: i.e. iPod, cabling amplifier, headphones used and if that setup is able to 'show' those small differences.

As I said, this is my opinion!

Rgds Hans.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Also a dock solution (any dock! and not specifically TURBO's) brings an extra connection (female to male 3.5 jack) which can only bring sound propogation problems. Any extra connection is another possible weak link in the audio path and should preferably be avoided.

Rgds Hans.

Hi Hans. I wonder, where your professional ethics are, when you make comments about other people's work?. I try to avoid making negative comments about other's hard work and you play like that. You might have your reasons for using a cable, attached to the dock (cost!). I have mine!.

Just to name a few of them, that I can disclose:

1) All the cable stress is on the female jack, not on the connector itself and the fragile pins.
2) Safety. If cable get stuck with any foreign matter, the dock can suffer, brake or dislodge your player's jack. In mine, the dock just disconnects from the cable.
3) Access to a variety of output devices / cables. Ej: car amps, hifi equipment, etc.
4) Implementation of a higher grade proprietary conductivity technology. This last one, tested by beta testers, all with golden ears, from around the world.
5) Simply, _____!

Please, play clean. Let others's ears decide. Thanks for your attention.

TURBO

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #28 of 30
Hi Turbo, If I offended you by this, then I am sorry! It was not intended at all.

My remarks, were (and should be read so) only about the solution of a dock in general and its influence to the soundpath from the extra connection involved.

Sorry If the words/lines were misguiding. I'll take better care next time.

Rgds hans.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

No problem, glad to help. That is why the forum is here.

Yes, I find that when charging is taking place a lot of times a soft humm and some interference can be heard for example on classical music and very soft passages.

But you should see what the whole chain consists of: i.e. iPod, cabling amplifier, headphones used and if that setup is able to 'show' those small differences.

Rgds Hans.

I just want to chime in here. The comments above by hoosterw, IMHO are not denigrating anyone else's work but rather stating factual observations that apply to anybody's attempt to charge the iPod and listen from the line out at the same time regardless of whose product you use as an interconnect. The fact is that many small AC adapters such as those from Griffin add considerable A/C hum to the sound. They're just not terribly well filtered. If the AC hum doesn't bother you, go for it, otherwise, heed good advice and avoid the problem. You can search for an A/C adapter that has better filtering too. If you find one, let me know, I'd like to buy one. Regarding "extra connections;" Any time you have another connection in your audio chain, you stand the very real chance of degrading your signal quality. The fewer intermediate connections, the better, axiomatically. Again, this is good vendor neutral advice.

Happy Listening!

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 30
I agree, the way I read it was that hoosterw was advocating that more connections gives more chance of signal interruption - which I agree with. Had he not mentioned the name Turbo it could have looked as if he was in fact knocking the Turbo dock as the previous poster had asked about it.

By generalising about all dock connectors with jacks he was being considerate to Turba - that's what I read into it.

If anything I think Turbo needs to be careful about coming across to strong.

Steve

PS I changed from a socketed dock to a wired one as the movement of my Ipod/amp was causing intermittent breaks in the sound - which connection was causing it I can't say but it's better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back