iPod to Audio-gd Compass
Sep 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Happybottle

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, Compass/iPod question for you all.

I know that I can use a cable from the headphone output of my iPod to the Line In inputs on the Compass but is there a better way?

What about a LoD cable from the iPod to the Coax Digital Input on the Compass? Would that work?

The second way would bypass the built in DAC on the iPod and let the Compass do the DAC work, right? I'm assuming the DAC on the Compass is much better than the iPod's.

I guess in general I'm asking how you Compass and iPod owners connect the two.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 11
There is no way to bypass the iPods DAC other than the iTransport. But you can get much better sound off the iPod using a LOD, as this at least passes the iPods internal amp section. I use the iPod as my only source and using a good quality LOD, it gives me amazing results.

Kevin

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 11
I guess the Compass internal DAC is of much better quality than the one inside the Ipod. But it is correct that the Ipod improves when using LOD. I would much rather use USB or optical and then get the benefit of the Compass DAC.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 11
You could buy a LOD from e.g. Sendstation, i have the mini usb:
SendStation - Products - PocketDock Line Mini Out USB

Enclosed with this LOD you will find some cables. One of them you could use to connect your IPod (through LOD) to the analog input on your Compass.

And no, it is not possible to connect LOD to USB/optical (that are both for digital input). But you could connect your laptop/computer to the USB port, or if your have an old cd player with optical out you can connect that to the optical port. In this way you will be able to also use the DAC inside the Compass.

Good luck!

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Yeah, right now I'm connecting my computer to the Compass via optical but I would like to be able to hook the iPod to it so that I don't have to turn on the computer to listen to music, you know?

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out.

adiZero, I guess I got a little confused by what you wrote earlier: "I would much rather use USB or optical and then get the benefit of the Compass DAC." It sounded like you were stating that connecting from the iPod to the Compass via USB or optical was an option but now I'm guessing that you meant that you'd rather do that but it's not an option with an iPod. Right?

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 11
I would recommend LOD from The Cable Pro or ALO Audio. Get one with the RCA outs and you can use it with your current amp and with later amps.

Kevin

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend LOD from The Cable Pro or ALO Audio. Get one with the RCA outs and you can use it with your current amp and with later amps.

Kevin

I was WAY too late jumping in on this one
wink.gif
, but this is the thing to do. You won't get the Compass's DAC, but you will get the benefits of the amp.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 11
The only options are to purchase an LOD to dual RCA plug cable, this will use your iPod's DAC, into your Compass's line in (ALO and such sell these things). Or, to buy the Wadia iTransport, which at $400 isn't that much more than a high end iPod cable, looks just like a dock, you drop the iPod in and through some Apple-approved voodoo it pulls the digital signal via coax and optical to feed the Compass. It is probably your best bet although it costs way more than the compass and you might be better off just running it via usb to a computer...although never underestimate a good digital transport to improve sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back