iPod through Dock
Aug 19, 2008 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

matt_wants

Head-Fier
I've got an iPod dock from when I had my previous 4th gen Photo, but my current 6th gen Classic fits. Is there really any benefit to using the line out, instead of the headphone socket?

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 12
Yeah skips the internal amp and allows you to use your own amp!
Sound is generally cleaner and provides a far better signal to amp!
This is generally the chosen route when amping from ipod!

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 12
I've always been confused by this.
Is the line out just straight out of the DAC? or is there some ampflication?

Cheers

BT

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 12
I did test side by side with 5.5 iMod ipod 80GB and i was amazed how ipod classic 160GB lineout sound quality sit close to the iMod ipod. It's(ipod classic 160GB) only need good AMPs and cable( lineout is way supperior in terms of reveiling details than the H/P jack).

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been confused by this.
Is the line out just straight out of the DAC? or is there some ampflication?

Cheers

BT

Line-out is straight from the DAC, with no amplification
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Sorry for sounding stupid, but if the line out is direct from the DAC, what exactly is the difference between a LOD and an IMod?

BT

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 12
imod allows you to skip straight from the Dac whereas the LOD still has to pass through some circuitry which degrades the signal on it's path to line out!
As far as I know the imod has been tampered with significantly internally to allow the cleaner signal path!
You also require a different type of LOD to operate the imod.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 12
You have line out circuitry in every piece of equipment you own that puts out a line level output. It's generally not the place where bad sound occurs.

Using a WAV file ripped from a CD, I did a line level matched comparison of the line out from my iPod to a midrange Sony CD player and a Philips 963sa playing the same CD. There was no detectable difference. I'm not at all surprised that there wasn't a difference between an iMod and a Classic's line out. I bet there wouldn't be a real difference between an iMod and any iPod's line out if you did a carefully controlled comparison.

See ya
Steve

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 12
To me ipod classic 160GB line_out is supperior to shows rich details with better bass than other ipod models. I think anybody can feels the difference if 5.5G iMod ipod compare to other ipod models because iMod has really silent back ground with more control over instruments and better separation. But iPod Calssic 160GB results sit very close to the iMod and especially if use with high end cable and AMPs. Iam sure without critics, others will not notice difference.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbcliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the sq improve much using imod to a portable amp/dac combo? Or is the orginal dac good enough?

Amping depends on your cans. Some will benefit from it, some won't. The DAC built into the iPod is excellent. No need to go to an external DAC, and no way to do it anyway. If you want to do that, get a Macbook and take the signal from iTunes out through the optical out.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back