iPod - the kleenex of MP3 players?
May 4, 2004 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

jeffw_00

New Head-Fier
Does it bother anyone else that in the non-technical (and even the somewhat technical) media, iPod is becoming synonymous with MP3 player. iPods are ok, (though not for me), but I don't think they're much better than a lot of other good units out there. I love my iFP, and if I went up-market featurewise I would stick with iRiver, better value, better support. (at least until their sales get dwarfed by the masses paying 2x and 3x for iPods and they go out of business). How do we (or iRiver, and others like those Rio guys, you know, the ones who <CREATED> the category (my kid still uses my old Rio800, he loves it)), help the people who really know how to build these things get the word out?

/j

May 4, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 41
That's not going to happen.
No one advertises as much as Apple does.
It's like how Bose has been synonymous with sound quality to people that don't know any better, because of their good advertising,

May 4, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 41
Marketing rarely has anything to do with the quality of what's being marketed. Bose is a great example of this, as is Best Buy.

Products in my opinion are "branded" because of the marketing behind it.

May 4, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

the ones who <CREATED> the category

Yeah and then blew it !!

Quote:

help the people who really know how to build these things get the word out?

I've owned iFP/iMP/iHP and iPod, all are quality built and sturdy units. The only thing that lets the iHP down is the joystick and just because the iPod doesn't have FM, recording or a fancy remote doesn't mean it's built poorly or can't do what it was built to do.

Quote:

Products in my opinion are "branded" because of the marketing behind it.

I accept that marketing has a part to play in brand awareness but to say that is the only factor is also to imply that "the masses" are a bunch of chumps who will buy any old rubbish as long as they see it in the media somewhere.
I prefer to think that most brands get to be popular because of a combination of marketing and through the fact that they do what they are supposed to do, thus fulfilling consumers needs. Even the example (BOSE) must be satisfying sombody.

So no, it doesn't bother me that iPod has become synonymous with MP3 players any more than Hoover has with vacuum cleaners or Coke has with cola. Why should it, it's only a name ??

biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 41
Sure, iPod IS synonymous with "mp3 player" lately for the majority of people...but then what about Walkman? I know things are slightly different, in that Apple didn't invent the hardisk mp3 player, but perhaps things will follow a similar trend over the next few years.

May 4, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by divad6719
Yeah and then blew it !!

I've owned iFP/iMP/iHP and iPod, all are quality built and sturdy units. The only thing that lets the iHP down is the joystick and just because the iPod doesn't have FM, recording or a fancy remote doesn't mean it's built poorly or can't do what it was built to do.

I accept that marketing has a part to play in brand awareness but to say that is the only factor is also to imply that "the masses" are a bunch of chumps who will buy any old rubbish as long as they see it in the media somewhere.
I prefer to think that most brands get to be popular because of a combination of marketing and through the fact that they do what they are supposed to do, thus fulfilling consumers needs. Even the example (BOSE) must be satisfying sombody.

So no, it doesn't bother me that iPod has become synonymous with MP3 players any more than Hoover has with vacuum cleaners or Coke has with cola. Why should it, it's only a name ??

biggrin.gif

I agree with you Divad, and stand corrected. SOMEBODY does have to like it.

May 4, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 41
What's that about paying 2x and 3x the price for an iPod? Prices for the iHP series are only a *bit* lower than the iPod's. And yes, more people buy iPods because of the publicity it was given but don't blame them, that's how the society works. Plus I don't mind if it's becoming a 'Kleenex', as long as it's a Kleenex that does it's job correctly, and I think iPod does that better than any other player. It's simple, plays music pretty well, managed pretty easily with great [free] software, stylish
wink.gif
What do you want more?

Even if Apple didn't invent the MP3 Player, it is them that started the whole wave of them and revolutionnized the way people listen to music nowadays, at least that's what I think. I give them thumbs up for that, and I encourage them to continue. But other competitors are also welcomed in the race for the perfect MP3 player..
wink.gif

May 4, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 41
I really doubt the iPod will become a generic word since it's such a distinctive and recognizable object. I think "mp3" becoming synonymous with digital music is more likely. In fact, I think it's starting. Most people know what an mp3 file is, but probably won't be as familiar with other file types. I'm talking about the average joe.

May 4, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
Plus I don't mind if it's becoming a 'Kleenex', as long as it's a Kleenex that does it's job correctly, and I think iPod does that better than any other player.

Care to substantiate this? What's better to you? I think the only thing iPod has nailed down is aesthetics. And marketing, of course.

May 5, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 41
The iPod has lately become synonymous with MP3 player?

Pretty much sense the 1st gen hit that's been the case. Except for the original Rios, and the resulting lawsuit, no player deserves the title as much for pushing the device into the mainstream.

And hey a long time ago I had a Panasonic cassette player, but everyone still called it a Walkman.

May 5, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Care to substantiate this? What's better to you? I think the only thing iPod has nailed down is aesthetics. And marketing, of course.

iPods are made to play music and that's exactly what it does, and very well at that. And it's got IMO the best GUI (simple of use) and the controls it has (2G better than 3G IMO again) are just very simple and effective too. It doesn't have any buttons that you push to get a cold beer or anything (like the iHP with all it's little gadgets) but it's an MP3 Player, and it's what it does!

Did I say that enough times? Eheh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gort
Nope. If someone has a non-Apple mp3 player, will s/he still call it an iPod? Until that happens iPod will only mean exactly that.

BTW, I think you're wrong about that. A lot of people with other HD DAP said to have been asked what kind of iPod their player was (example, with the iHP, I heard some people go "Oooouh! A black iPod!").

May 5, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 41
Why is it that Apple products engender such hate/admiration by those that detest/admire them (far more, it seems, than products from other companies)?

The iPod is an excellent player, generally regarded as superior in some respects (interface, e.g.) and inferior in others (the obvious, battery life).

When I was helping a close friend decide between a HDD140 and a 40GB iPod, the comparison revealed two extremely competent players that, at the margins, had some differences. The key phrase is "at the margins". Neither unit was inferior to the other. Just different.

May 5, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Neither unit was inferior to the other. Just different.

You and your friend should of considered iPod's HUGE aftermarket support. For example there are many places online who'll repair iPods and replace batteries far cheaper than Apple. Not to mention car kits and various bags.

May 5, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Why is it that Apple products engender such hate/admiration by those that detest/admire them (far more, it seems, than products from other companies)?

The iPod is an excellent player, generally regarded as superior in some respects (interface, e.g.) and inferior in others (the obvious, battery life).

When I was helping a close friend decide between a HDD140 and a 40GB iPod, the comparison revealed two extremely competent players that, at the margins, had some differences. The key phrase is "at the margins". Neither unit was inferior to the other. Just different.

Very well put. Every DAP is different, people need DAP's for different needs and uses. There are some DAPs that do suck though. But the iPod , iHP, Rio Karma, and others, are all very good. It only matters what features matter to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back