iPod Suffle - Hot or Not?
Jan 14, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #107 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocovitsch
Are you an Apple fanatic or you work for Apple company?
You have so many strange arguments...
Creative,Iriver or Sony products are much better any Apple player,shuffle or not...

I am an Apple FAN and a Windows software developer. Interestingly, many of the Windows software developers I know are Mac users. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a MUCH higher proportion of Mac users among Windows developers than among the general population. Software engineers tend to be logical and most of us know a good piece of computer engineering when we see it. We work on Windows because that's where the money is. But we use Macs because that's where the quality is. And there's a degree of appreciative envy as well. We look at the stuff in Mac OS X and think, damn, we wish we could create that kind of stuff under Windows. And, damn, do I ever miss those days when I developed software for NeXTStep.

At any rate, I like to use "arguments," strange or otherwise. You, on the other hand, just threw out some unsupported "assertions."

P.S. I was once on a team of six Windows engineers in which every single member happened to be a Mac owner. What are the chances of that if the distribution of Mac owners among Windows engineers were the same 2% market share Apple has in the general population? Answer: It's less than 1 in 10 BILLION.

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #108 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
I haven't read the five pages of replyes to this poll, but at only 30% Hot I would say this product (in head-fi world) is NOT hot.

What you don't know is that, secretly, the other 70% have the iPod Shuffle on order. They'll never admit it though.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #109 of 126
I bet a couple of them do!

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #110 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
I am an Apple FAN and a Windows software developer. Interestingly, many of the Windows software developers I know are Mac users. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a MUCH higher proportion of Mac users among Windows developers than among the general population. Software engineers tend to be logical and most of us know a good piece of computer engineering when we see it. We work on Windows because that's where the money is. But we use Macs because that's where the quality is. And there's a degree of appreciative envy as well. We look at the stuff in Mac OS X and think, damn, we wish we could create that kind of stuff under Windows. And, damn, do I ever miss those days when I developed software for NeXTStep.

At any rate, I like to use "arguments," strange or otherwise. You, on the other hand, just threw out some unsupported "assertions."

P.S. I was once on a team of six Windows engineers in which every single member happened to be a Mac owner. What are the chances of that if the distribution of Mac owners among Windows engineers were the same 2% market share Apple has in the general population? Answer: It's less than 1 in 10 BILLION.

I'm not a fan of anything : my assertions aren't,unlike you, some ideological considerations...
I owned or own now
- Creative Jukebox 1
- Creative Jukebox 3
- Sony NW-ES10
- Iriver IHP 120
- Iriver IFP595
- Iriver IFP 1095
- Creative Zen Xtra
- Creative Muvo2
- Creative Muvo Slim
- Sony NW-HD1
- Ipod Mini Gold
- Creative Zen Touch

and i used to try many times my sister's Ipod 4g...

For example, Ipod Shuffle is an obsolete product compared to Creative Muvo Slim (Design,FM Radio,display,Micro,etc...)
But when i buy an MP3 player, I buy an MP3 player and anything else...Mode is for my clothes...

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #111 of 126
Cocovitsch said:
I'm not a fan of anything : my assertions aren't,unlike you, some ideological considerations...
I owned or own now
- Creative Jukebox 1
- Creative Jukebox 3
- Sony NW-ES10
- Iriver IHP 120
- Iriver IFP595
- Iriver IFP 1095
- Creative Zen Xtra
- Creative Muvo2
- Creative Muvo Slim
- Sony NW-HD1
- Ipod Mini Gold
- Creative Zen Touch
I can see why you're ot a fan of anything. With your collection you don't have time to spend quality time with any one of them!
600smile.gif

At any rate, let me take a wild stab in the dark. You're a hardware or gadget geek. You're not a software geek and you're not the typical user. The thing is that:

1) Apple created their products for the non-geek. The folks who are more worried about USING the product than about the gadgetry.

2) The brilliance of the product is in two areas: design and the accompanying software, namely iTunes and the iTunes Music Store (iTMS). People say that Apple didn't innovate with the iPod, but they're forgetting that iTunes and iTMS are incredible innovations. Think about it. The Apple-guided Fairplay DRM and iTMS basically saved the music industry. Only a leading-edge software company could have been the first to come up with those products, and I don't mean MicroSoft.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #112 of 126
Quote:

The Apple-guided Fairplay DRM and iTMS basically saved the music industry.

rolleyes.gif
Enough said. Well, just because U2's Bono said it doesn't mean it's true. The only thing Apple saved was their latest album.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #113 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
rolleyes.gif
Enough said. Well, just because U2's Bono said it doesn't mean it's true. The only thing Apple saved was their latest album.

Funny how the iPod-haters respond with snark and insults. Perhaps some of them don't have real points on which to stand?

Just because Bono said it doesn't mean it's untrue.

According to the industry analysts, music sales, which had been on a steady decline for several years, took a sudden jump up last year attributable to both online sales of music as well as renewed general interest in music brought about by MP3 players. And there's no question that Apple was the first out with a DRM that made it practical and even enticing for people to buy music online; moreover, it was Apple's iPod that fired up the market for MP3 players. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and look how all of the big boys, including Microsoft and Sony, followed suit with their own imitative DRMs.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #114 of 126
Quote:

The Apple-guided Fairplay DRM and iTMS basically saved the music industry.

I dont think that DRM is the way to save the music industry. I think it is more a case of them trying to delay the future and keep profits high.

Think about how much a company saves by offering music online. The is the cd pressing factory price and operating costs, as well as the case and paper making plants and their costs. Say 4 warehouses for distribution between that factory and the user and all the transport that entails between them all.

Then the cost of the shop and staff that finally sell it to you.

Compare that with the cost of running a shed full of computers with a really really fast optical connection, much cheaper.

I would think that while allofmp3.com prices are lower than we will eventually pay, they are more like it than DRM.

In fact I find it easier and more convient to get my music from there than anywhere else. And no DRM to worry about.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #115 of 126
Quote:

Funny how the iPod-haters respond with snark and insults.

I don't really call myself an iPod hater. I do own two iPods - 3G 20GB and iPod Photo and like them both. The sarcasm/insult was not aimed at Apple, but at your statement. I think the disappearance of Napster/Kazaa, the re-appearance of semi-decent music, lower CD prices, and a semi-recovering economy played bigger roles. Now if you said Apple saved online music sales, that would be true.

Jan 15, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #116 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by azesty
I dont think that DRM is the way to save the music industry. I think it is more a case of them trying to delay the future and keep profits high.

Okay, IF the music industry survives in its current mega-billion-dollar form, Apple will have saved it. Note that not only did Apple introduce the first really practical way to buy music legitimately online, but they currently have 70% of the legitimate online music market. The next competitor is at a distant 10% or so. (we're not talking iPod market share, but iTMS market share, though both are closely linked)

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #117 of 126
Quote:

Okay, IF the music industry survives in its current mega-billion-dollar form, Apple will have saved it.

Where's the logic in that? It's like saying if Iraq goes through with its January election, it's be because President Bush won a second term.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #118 of 126
Does that factor in the sales by allofmp3.com?

And before you say they are not legit, I have seen a couple of pieces of legal advice saying they are in Australia, the U.S. and the E.U.

If you dont think they are legit, could you provide backup for your assertion?

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #119 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
I don't really call myself an iPod hater. I do own two iPods - 3G 20GB and iPod Photo and like them both. The sarcasm/insult was not aimed at Apple, but at your statement. I think the disappearance of Napster/Kazaa, the re-appearance of semi-decent music, lower CD prices, and a semi-recovering economy played bigger roles. Now if you said Apple saved online music sales, that would be true.

Okay, sorry if I painted you or your post with too broad a brush. I'm just tired of the less than civil negativity tossed in both Apple and the iPod's direction. As someone else has pointed out, iPod fans here don't generally hurl invective at other DAPs, though we get hit with a lot of what I would call "irrational" iPod hate.

At any rate, I think the fall of Napster/Kazaa played a major role, but I don't think we suddenly saw a "re-appearance of semi-decent music." And in as much as I believe the online music business is the future of the music business, I think Apple has saved it. Would it have been saved by some other savvy software company if Apple wouldn't have been there? Maybe. Eventually. However, it took real INNOVATION for Apple to be the first out there with a solution and with such a well-conceived and popular one at that.

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #120 of 126
I don't remember exactly what I read, but I don't think the music industry was going to die or come close. Wasn't it the rate of sales that decreased, not the amount of sales itself? So in other words, sales were always increasing, but just not as greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back