iPod Suffle - Hot or Not?
Jan 13, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #91 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
ah the apple fan boy at its best, you obviously do not understand monopolies. when creative and iriver go away then you get an even more obsurdly overpriced ipod. if anything you fan boys should welcome competition because its the only thing that keeps you from dropping below the poverty line.

Ah... you obviously project. I think he/she was talking about motivation, not inherently endorsing. BTW, what OS did you type that on?

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #92 of 126
i would like to have one actually for specific uses

for example id use my hdd player at school, doing hmwk, car trips stuff like that

but u dont want to work out with a hdd player because theyre not shock absorbent and it will damage it. u dont wanna run with a hdd player for the same reason. if ur working out u usually wont be dj'ing ur music, so why not not have a screen for this purpose?

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #93 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by bartholomew
i would like to have one actually for specific uses

for example id use my hdd player at school, doing hmwk, car trips stuff like that

but u dont want to work out with a hdd player because theyre not shock absorbent and it will damage it. u dont wanna run with a hdd player for the same reason. if ur working out u usually wont be dj'ing ur music, so why not not have a screen for this purpose?

Why not have one if you can? There was a lot of fuss about the Iaudio M3, HD DAP without a screen on the mainplayer but with a fully compatible remote. Mostly the remarks were made by Ipod users, now Apple does something the same with the Shuffle and it's the best idea ever...

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #95 of 126
Quote:

right, i dun have an ipod

anyways, if ur working out or running, ur obviously not going to be looking at ur screen, and isnt the iriver m3 a hdd player?

If you were actually reading my post you would've noticed that the M3 is manufactured by Iaudio and that it indeed is a HDD-player. Second, flashplayers are not only for working-out. Just take a look here in Europe, I think that flashplayers represent 75% of the market, not all of them work-out you know.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #96 of 126
lol that wasnt my point

my point is that the ipod shuffle is good for woring out because u wont need a screen because u wont be looking at it. the iaudio m3 is not used for working out because it will get damaged, thus why everyone made a big fuss about it not having a screen, if the ipod shuffle wasnt a flash player, nboy at all would like it...now i also have a flash player, and i dont use it for working out, but it has a screen anyways

do u see what im saying?

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #97 of 126
Quote:

lol that wasnt my point

my point is that the ipod shuffle is good for woring out because u wont need a screen because u wont be looking at it. the iaudio m3 is not used for working out because it will get damaged, thus why everyone made a big fuss about it not having a screen, if the ipod shuffle wasnt a flash player, nboy at all would like it...now i also have a flash player, and i dont use it for working out, but it has a screen anyways

do u see what im saying?

I see what you mean, but now my question is:

Is it hot because it's good for work-out? Any player WITH screen is fine for work-out too. The fact that working-out is actually the only purpose of this player makes it pretty useless for me.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #98 of 126
I voted "Not" for the simple reason that it doesn't serve my purpose. The only active sport I play right now is tennis and you don't really have headphones on while playing that. in the gym, I consider it dangerous to not hear what's going on around the weights area, and for treadmill work, the regular iPod will do. I'm not a casual jogger around the park.

But you have to keep things in perspective though. Of course people here will more likely hate it. A lot of you are audiophiles, so you'll need your fix of features. A lot of you won't mind spending for your gigabytes of storage.

It's for a different market, but finally, I still needed to say "Not" because for this type of player, I think other vendors have done better work. Not having a screen is the final nail on the coffin.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #99 of 126
You know, Steve Jobs is jokingly known as creating a reality distortion field around himself and in everything he says. Strangely, I think a few people here are distorted enough that it doesn't matter what he or anyone says.

I voted not. While I do believe it will sell well as it is a decently priced Apple product, I personally don't think it is anything to get excited about. Good choices for flash MP3 players designed for working out with have been around since Rio got off their collective butt and put out a newer, decent line of products, and have more features. They even have a screen (albeit a very basic one). Creative and iRiver have had good flash MP3 players with the casual listener in mind for quite a while which feature far more features and real screens. The biggest selling point of the Shuffle is the capacity you get for a comparatively low price. Please keep in mind this is a standard price, not the bargain deal you see at Fry's for that one product from the whole line on sale for a few days. Comparing circuitcity.com or bestbuy.com to buy.com or ecost.com is not a very effective way of comparing prices. If it was, Best Buy, Circuit City, and others would be completely out of business at this point. The only thing about the price is I see iRiver and Creative lowering their prices somewhat to bring the MSRP closer to the Shuffle level. Not immediately, but in the next few months.
I personally will not get one. As I am not really the type who works out a lot, dropping the cash on a flash player doesn't make sense when I've got better things to do with it. I'd much rather keep saving up for a hard drive player for my collection of 25GB of MP3s.

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #101 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz
I see what you mean, but now my question is:

Is it hot because it's good for work-out? Any player WITH screen is fine for work-out too. The fact that working-out is actually the only purpose of this player makes it pretty useless for me.

that doesnt make it hot or anything, im just saying it makes it an attractive option if u work out often simply becauise it has everything u need and doesnt have the extra features that u wouldnt need, but def if u want an mp3 player for commutes or just chilling buy a hdd dap

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #102 of 126
I haven't read the five pages of replyes to this poll, but at only 30% Hot I would say this product (in head-fi world) is NOT hot.

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #103 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Not at all. As I mentioned, Apple's competitors will HAVE to cut prices, so their profit margins will be squeezed. This will help usher out the weaker competition, and even the big guys will feel the pinch at their bottom lines. Three years from now Creative might be a leading manufacturer...of iPod acccessories.
eggosmile.gif
Or not. Creative and iRiver may still retain strong footholds in Asia, but the American market is closing to them.

Are you an Apple fanatic or you work for Apple company?
You have so many strange arguments...
Creative,Iriver or Sony products are much better any Apple player,shuffle or not...

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #104 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocovitsch
Are you an Apple fanatic or you work for Apple company?
You have so many strange arguments...
Creative,Iriver or Sony products are much better any Apple player,shuffle or not...

don't worry about him. i have a friend working in apple singapore who says that apple is seriously worried about the current onslaught from creative.
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #105 of 126
Amazing how much has been written about this player. Brilliant marketing indeed. But I see it as mostly a complement to a full-fledged iPod, not as an entry level iPod. I can see people either frustrated with it or convinced that they have to upgrade to a bigger Pod. I'd assume they would like at one or another moment to choose a particular song, even if only to show somebody else.

And where is Sony? It really dropped the ball on digital music players. Nobody ever mentions its NW-E99, which is also very tiny, plays MP3 and offers a screen and 70 hours of battery life for only $50 more than the Shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back