iPod Speaker Dock Recommendations?
Dec 20, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 19
I've listened to the Klipsch only in Apple Stores, which are chaotic, but that's one I'd certainly consider if I were faced with the choice of getting a home dock for myself (or my father-in-law!). Price, performance and looks seem pretty good.

I have a Logitech mm50 for traveling -- although it could be used around the home, as well. I use it in hotel rooms and guest rooms, and while not as bassy as the Klipsch, Bose, etc. units, it's very packable yet it can fill up a room loud enough that it can disturb anyone in a neighboring room. If he's going to be traveling or wants to use the built-in battery when outdoors, that's a real good buy, particularly in terms of versatility.

But for stay-at-home "oomph," the Klipsch would be good. (Then there's the brand-recognition factor of the Bose docks -- if he's the kind of person who assumes something's the best because he's heard of it, and you need to score points with him, then a Bose might be appropriate in such a case, if you want to pay that much. Of course, for the price of a Bose, you could get him a quite good mini stereo system that plays DVDs, CDs, CD-R's, etc., and just have him connect his player to that through the AUX in port.)

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 19
B&W Zeppelin

b-w-zeppelin.jpg

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 19
FYI, if you decide on the Klipsch go to their web site and they sell them refurbed for $100. Also, Costco has them in stores for about that price. I also like the JBL On Stage which can be had from JBL refurbed on Ebay for about $25. The Logitech mm50 is nice for travel and the Altec Lansing IM600 is also very nice. If he just wants something to listen at lower volumes the Immini at buy.com is $20 - $10 if you use google checkout. It has nice sound for it's size and also travels well.

Dec 24, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Dec 24, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 19
I researched a lot for a good ipod speaker. The best i've found, based on reviews is the Chestnut Hill George. It's supposed to have the best fidelity in audio reproduction of the ipod speakers available, not the loudest but the best. It has a nice remote control which has full access to the ipod, so you don't need to browse your ipod's content on it directly, you can do that remotely. I'll only received it on jan. 5th and never tried it. I'd listened the Harman Kardon Go+Play which is loud but lacking a bit on the sound quality, specially on bass quality ...

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 19
Take a look at the Tivoli products. I use my portable PAL radio with my iPod and am a big fan of their sound.
They also have dedicated iPod systems.

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 19
Get the Logitech mm50 (sounds surprisingly good for a cheap mobile unit) or the B&W Zeppelin (pricey, but gorgeous sound). The Geneva Labs speakers are also worth a look, but quite bulky.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 19
The Kicker iK501 has a really strong and bassy sound. I personally use it because I listen to a lot of dance music. The thing really gets the job done and blows the Bose Sounddock out of the water in terms of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back