iPod Sound Quality HELP!!!!!
Jun 5, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

the shellbrook Maxi Moy's are not CMoy derivatives

Thanks for clearing it up. I looked at the Maxi Moy's PCB picture. I thought it was a cmoy derivative because to me, it seems that the only difference is that he uses 2 single opamps instead of a dual opamp, a rail splitter, and a buffer on each channel.

I have a MINT which is a meta42 derivative. It hisses even worse than a cmoy on my ER6i-- so I still wouldn't get a maxi moy for the e5c.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #17 of 31
Thanks for all the replies you guys have helped alot i am still not 100% sure what i am gonna get but you have given me some options thank you. Any other suggestions?

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 31
Can you guys comment on the Super Mini Moy VS the Go-Vibe? Please help, I really like how the Super Mini Moy looks, but I think the go-vibe is better (in audio performance). Is this true?

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Thanks for all the replies you guys have helped alot i am still not 100% sure what i am gonna get but you have given me some options thank you. Any other suggestions?

I would jump on this right now, if I didn't have 3 portable amps already.
biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...779182796&rd=1

No clue how it sounds, but it's more attractive than the maxi moy to me.

Jun 6, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #23 of 31
Well, if the poorer quality from the headphone jack really is the result of the video output, then a dedicated audio-only line-out should sound better.

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #24 of 31
I looked back at my question and I don't think I worded it correctly. Here's what I meant: The iPod photo's headphone out is worse than the regular 4G iPod's headphone out. How do the two's lineout's compare? Would they be the same or is there also a difference between it?

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 31
srry to hijack ur thread but i figure its easier than making another one...

i have an ipod mini and my ety er6i's should be here within a few days. i was wondering what a good amp for that setup would be, i really like those altiod can amps, i dont know if they're any good though... but what would be a good choice that provides good amplification for my headphones but isnt overly expensive (ie under 100).

thanks

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 31
...I have Shure e3c's and a 20G 3rd Gen iPod.

Please advise what is better to boost iPod sound quality between:

a) Buy a portable amp (<$200) to use with the e3c's

or

b) Buy the e4c's (with no amp).

Whaddya think? Trying to stay under $200 budget.

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 31
bump my question:

I looked back at my question and I don't think I worded it correctly. Here's what I meant: The iPod photo's headphone out is worse than the regular 4G iPod's headphone out. How do the two's lineout's compare? Would they be the same or is there also a difference between it?

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #28 of 31
I listen to a great deal of solo classical piano and am sitting here with my own identical rips on both a 3G 40 and a photo 60. The rips were all done by me on various Macs via iTunes. Nothing exotic was involved. Some are 160 AACs and others are 192 VBR MP3s. The music is Rubinstein's rendition of Chopin's nocturnes and waltzes, and Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3 and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 10.

Listening directly from the headphone output of both iPods with Senn PX-100s there is no audible difference. The same is true with ER-4Ps.

Adding an SM3 fed by the headphone out with DT880s there is again no apparent difference.

Switching the SM3 to the line out with DT880s there is still no difference (and none in the SQ as well).

Substituting a Corda HA-2 there is again no discernible difference.

In summary: In no case was there any distortion--nada. And the SQ was identical between the line out and headphone out with the volume set to full.

If anyone is interested, I can also add a 2G 20 and a Mini 2g 6 to the mix.

I'd love to hear the results of a similar comparison from others who actually have both iPods on hand. Perhaps I'm just lucky to have non-distorting samples, but I highly doubt it, given my track record.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kschul2
Thanks for the reply. Have a question though, are you also saying there's no difference in SQ between using the headphone out and lineout w/ amps?

Yep. I have a PocketDock and an SM3. I've carefully compared the lineout and headphone out and now no longer use the PocketDock. I feed the SM3 directly from the headphone output. And, as if this weren't blasphemous enough, I usually set the SM3 pot to about 3 O'clock and control the volume with the iPod.

There are lots of myths floating around here and elsewhere about iPods (such as the "non-replaceable" battery) and many are posted by the clueless and repeated by the uninformed. Check here to see some of the high capacity batteries available for iPods. And don't miss the links at the bottom showing the step-by-step replacement drill. I think you'll agree that most here could accomplish this feat in 5 to 10 minutes at most.

I've found in audio, as in most things, the KISS principle should be at the forefront of most decisions. Now if only I could learn to take that path a little more often . . . .
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back