Ipod Skips
Jan 28, 2005 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

c-money

New Head-Fier
when I put apple lossless files on my 3G Ipod it will skip every third or fourth song after it has played the first two or three songs perfectly. I called apple and asked them about this, but since warrenty was over they wouldn't speak unless I paid more. In hopes to save the little cash I still have I have foresaken apple and turned to you all wisdom. I personally think that it's the ram and the hard drive simply isn't spinning up often enough to keep the currently playing songs in there. this is just my guess, but is there any way to make the hard drive spin more often or make lossless work, because it is really annoying to miss nearly every other song.

Jan 28, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 20
I've read about this problem here. I don't know if it affects both the 3g and the 4g, or just the 3g. It has something to do with a problem buffering them.

With an older firmware on my Karma(this is 2003, I think), I had a similar problem. I couldn't fast forward or rewind through FLACs or the song would take a few minutes to load. That was fixed with new firmware thankfully, so hopefully Apple will release a new firmware with a similar fix.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 20
My 3G had the exact same problem, and I tried an awful lot (reformatting, re-ripping, re-syncing, etc.) and nothing ever fixed it. The skips remained (and the freezing as well), just occurred in different places/times. Really frustrating.

My iPod Photo does a much better job with lossless, but once in a while there's a skip or freeze, so it's not immune either. Still, it's infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me.

Best,

-Jason

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
My 3G had the exact same problem, and I tried an awful lot (reformatting, re-ripping, re-syncing, etc.) and nothing ever fixed it. The skips remained (and the freezing as well), just occurred in different places/times. Really frustrating.

My iPod Photo does a much better job with lossless, but once in a while there's a skip or freeze, so it's not immune either. Still, it's infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me.

Best,

-Jason

mine skipped on me 2x yesterday and last month was the last time it froze so i reset it. i gave up returning them after the fourth ipod return - it's an annoyance i can live with.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 20
I'm glad that I'm not alone but it still sucks that it can't be fixed.
At least I don't have to re-encode all of my CD's
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AManInJapan
What's the point of lossless? Just use smaller files

To have the quality of the original?

It advertizes ability to play lossless files, so it should be able to do so.

iAudios and Karmas have working FLAC support, for you four time returners.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 20
Well if it can't play lossless files, why not just convert everything to 320kbps mp3s and move on? I mean, even if 320kbps mp3s aren't better "quality" it sure beats having your music skip every few seconds.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 20
lol my ipod just froze on me again. reboot play, keep going
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Lossless files skip every once in awhile due to extremely large file sizes and the amount of RAM available to use in the buffer is exhausted.

I think it has to do more with the firmware.

I'm not sure, but I have a 16 MB buffer in my player, and the iPod a 32 MB buffer, and I can play long songs that go over 80 MB just fine, and gaplessly if I don't eff around with it right near the end of the song. It should be fixable, if enough people complain about it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 20
I think it is more common on the 3Gs and some early 4Gs. I havent had it happen on my 4G 40G (as with everything, knock on wood). I play ALAC files exclusively and listen on my commute for 40mins at a time. I thought the last firmware was supposed to fix that? Have you tried that download?

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 20
My iPod Mini has never had any problems with skipping and freezing. I've never had to reset it once. I don't use lossless though, the highest bitrate I use is 224kbps AAC.

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 20
My 4th gen photo skips sometimes with lossless files. But I thought it may be because while I am importing them I have to many things going on. Multi-tasking on my computer. So I would try to re-encode them and close every program except itunes and it seems to work. I dont know if its just coincidence or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back