iPod Shuffle.......What.....wow
Feb 28, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
If I purchse a Shuffle, what options do I have if I do not want to install iTunes and am using a Windows machine? I am willing to listen to formats other than Apple's (e.g. WAV or MP3). It appears that the Database Builder mentioned above is no longer supported in Windows native format. Do I have any other options available to me?

http://agoraphobeus.free.fr/iShuffle

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwap
and ogg vorbis too (linux only)

but still no FLAC

linux is on the ipod shuffle?

the shuffle database website explains how to use it on windows (with python).

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #33 of 44
Using python in windows isn´t too hard. The db-rebuild tool is a must have if you´r using the SHuffle.

I think the latest .exe was version 0.5. It works good if you want to index all music files on your drive. But you have to get the latest version (which you need python to run) if you want to store your files in different folders, i.e. "traning", "chillout", and then point the rebuilder to ONLY index files @ the specified location, ie. "chillout".

This has a user friendly UI, dont know if its updated though
http://www.shrum.net/cats.php?dir=/code/shuffler

And here is the offical if someone missed it:
http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
It appears that the Database Builder mentioned above is no longer supported in Windows native format.

That's what I thought too, but the executable is included in the latest Python package for users who don't want to use Python.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
linux is on the ipod shuffle?

the shuffle database website explains how to use it on windows (with python).

didn't know that

maybe I'm gonna give it a try when I feel bored

cheers zip22

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
yes it does, it supports WAV (which i already mentioned).

Well, technically, WAV is not lossless as lossless implies compression. WAV is uncompressed.

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #38 of 44
maybe this is a stupid question, but can a shuffle still be used on a computer as a flash drive if it's battery is drained?

If so, I may have to pick one of these up. Although I'm not sure I need it...always have my ipod 4G with me, and the USB cable is in my bag that I carry whenever I'm on campus.

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9kRPM
Most people here will probably agree the shuffle is the best sounding iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

i don't agree. i think it's a very close second to the 5G (line outs not included). i find the 5G has tighter bass, more clarity and wider soundstage. but that's just me.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #40 of 44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do all the Ipod Shuffles have the same DAC? I am thinking of getting one, and want the 1G, but is there a particular version (model #) I should look for?

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i don't agree. i think it's a very close second to the 5G (line outs not included). i find the 5G has tighter bass, more clarity and wider soundstage. but that's just me.

so if I'm using a 20 gb ipod line out to a go-vibe, should I get a shuffle. Or is the shuffle just bettering the other through headphone out?

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax

I agree , the 5g sounds better overall to my ears . The shuffle sounds very good though for being a so little packet .

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138
so if I'm using a 20 gb ipod line out to a go-vibe, should I get a shuffle. Or is the shuffle just bettering the other through headphone out?

i don't think the shuffle will improve on the line-out -> go vibe... HOWEVER, it may possibly equal it (that's pure supposition on my part, though).

if you're looking for similar SQ in a smaller package, it might be worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back