iPod setup
Sep 20, 2005 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wayde

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to figure out how to setup the "ultimate" at the desk setup with an iPod at work. I use an iPod and Grado SR60 headphones, there are several things I would like to accomplish with one continuous connection.

1/ iPod must be being charged while listening via usb only (my notebook has no firewire)
2/ iPod must be amplified from its Din output. I have an iPod din to RCA connector for a preamp w/ a nice headphone out I like to use.

The other thing I'd like but don't know if this will be possible is running the iPod through my PC at the same time. I'd like to controll the iPod through the PC rather than on the iPod itself.

PC connection while charging is easy money, but how do I get that and a line out to an external headphone amp. The notebook I work out of isn't a suitable amplifier (I think you folks would understand).

I am thinking maybe an iPod cradle with a din out, connected via USB to the PC to charge and exchange data. Use the DIN out on the cradle to the headphone amp. If such a thing is made I'm not sure it would work this way. Another thing is the Sik Din w/ a firewire input and din out to the headphone amp. I'm not sure if this is exchanging data with the PC at the same it's being charged. And do they make a USB to Firewire connector cable? Would this work?

Anyway, I know I ask a lot of this reality but hey, you only go 'round once so I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 10
When an iPod is connected to a computer you don't play music through the iPod itself (there is no interface except the "do not disconnect" screen)

You are only able to exchange data and play through iTunes (or other program like Efpod) when the iPod is connected.

So, forgetting about the computer for a moment...I use a SIk Ram DIN cable.

One wire goes to a firewire charger (into a wall outlet)
The other wire goes directly into a Xin SuperMacro3, and from there out to my Grados.
A separate wall charger fuels the SM3.

I hope this helps.

sm3f.jpg

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 10
This got moved to Computers as Source components??

Seems odd, as it is really a question about a portable player and an amp, but perhaps charged through the computer.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 10
My guess is that the thread should go in Portable Audio, as the only consistant thing about it is that it's an iPod as the main component. Everything else, amp, computer, etc is up in the air.

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 10
one huge correction here, you DON'T need to physically disconnect the cable from your ipod to have the ipod play music. You only need to "stop/unload" it from your pc, which can be done in iTunes (eject ipod), or the taskbar, you will see the removable hardware icon there and upon double clicking it, you will be brought to a window where u can unload the ipod. Once unloaded, you will regain full control of your ipod AND the pc will still charge it. As for connecting your ipod to an amp and charging it simultaneously, any dock would do.....official dock, pocket dock, sik din, or other brandless dock out there(with a line-out). the only thing that you can't do is remotely control the ipod from your pc.

oh btw, regarding the dock.....actually i think sik din won't work...AFAIK, they only have firewire connection at the moment....so it's not gonna work for you....

Sep 22, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi and thanks for the suggestions. I think Labrat nailed it with this product:

Sendstation PocketDock with USB and Line-out

I didn't know it existed but it makes sense someone has thought of it.

I don't mind where what forum the post lands into, I'm not trying to cause any trouble for anyone. Amps forum seemed logical for the .8 seconds I spent thinking about it.

As for the exact method my PC controls the iPod I don't know about the real technical nitty gritty. I don't have any mp3s stored on my notebook, no library, no synch ever occurs w/ Mr Notebook, all MP3s are on the iPod. I plug the iPod into the notebook USB style, run Winamp w/ iPod plug in and controll playback of the music from the PC using winamp interface. I assumed I'm controlling the iPod through the PC, but what do I know.

Later and thanks
Wayde

Users who are viewing this thread

Back