ipod rockbox and vinyl problems
Aug 5, 2010 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fcpchop88

100+ Head-Fier
I have an ipod video 5.5g with rockbox on it, it play most flac files perfectly fine but it seems like the vinyl tracks have a problem when I  play them instantly the ipod slows down, it plays the track for around 10 seconds, then skips, then plays for another 10 seconds and so on. At this point the ipod is just super slow and unresponsive but still able to be navigated, when I finally get it to play another song, not vinyl, it goes back to normal.  EDIT: I Just realized It's having trouble playing 24/96 bit files, but I read that rockbox is suppose to support it, any ideas? I almost positive I'm using the most current rockbox build. Can anyone shed some light? I could swear I remember listening to these songs on it before without problem, I'm confused.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 12
What codec are you using?
Ipods have a relatively slow CPU, and if your tracks are in e.g. APE 4000, there will be lags just like you're describing.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm sorry I'm relatively new to this, how could I check which codec I'm using. They are flac files if that's what you mean.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 12
It might simply be that the iPods CPU do not have processing power to decode those 24-bit/96kHz files on the fly.
Using the original Apple firmware it does not support ALAC with anything above 48kHz, although it support 24-bits. Guess that is for a reason

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 12
yea that just may be it, but I read posts about people saying how they can listen to 24/96 files on their ipod if they use rockbox, they don't seem to mention anything about lag on theirs either. It is an old ipod that took its falls so maybe the hard disk itself just isn't up to the task.

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, it may be worth trying a different encoding setting in FLAC. Like if you used -5 (default) try -0 instead.
It may have enough impact on the decoding speed to make a difference.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 12
hmm thanks for the advice I'll try that.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 12
That seems to do the trick, they play fine after encoded into -0. Thanks for the advice!

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 12
Just so you are aware you should actually down-sample all of your music to 16/44. Rockbox is going to play them back at that anyway, and your re-sampler is going to be better than the built in one.
Yes a Rockboxed iPod can play 24 bit files but it does so by down-sampling it to 16 bit. So you are essentially wasting your time.

Glad you got your problem sorted!

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Sorry to resurrect the thread here. So the ipod only decodes a 24 bit file to 16 bit. My question is: would a file sound better if I convert to 16bit and throw it into my ipod or if I keep it at 24bit and let the ipod convert on the fly? Does it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back