Ipod Repair gone awry; Inquest needed
Jan 16, 2011 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

teambayern

New Head-Fier
So my iPod video started playing in one ear only unless i jiggled the jack, which I diagnosed to be a loose/broken ipod jack.  I bought replacement jack from digiexpress, and installed it step by step according to the video instructions at digiexpress and those at ifixit. 

When I reconnected the headphone audio to the main board, the connection didn't seem quite right, but I thought I'd try it and see how it sounded since it was the best I could get it.  When I listened to it, it only came through one ear and sounded off somehow.  I opened it up, reseated the headphone audio connection and this time it felt much snugger, like it clicked into place.  I tried listening again, now it comes through both ears, but the sound is still MESSED UP.  The best analogy I can give is that it sounds like I'm listening to the song underwater.  The bass is very prominent, and the vocals and everything else are way way recessed to the point where you can barely hear them (and again, like they're underwater).  Almost a weird echoey muddy effect that everything but the bass is filtering through.  I tried this with two different headphones, same result, so I know it's the ipod.  I tried reseating the connection a third time, again clicking right into place, and I got the same sound.  

Any thoughts as to what's causing this, and whether this is more likely to be my doing or digiexpress sending a bad part? 

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't have a straight answer but I've done  it before. Just check on these:
- The ground tab (near hold switch) is peeled and properly grounded to the backplate.
- Contacts properly seated into place and no loose wires etc.

Just take your time, IIRC it's a bit fiddly with the fragile ribbon cable.

Good luck mate.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 16
I had a similar situation happen with a 6th gen classic and found it was actually the logic board, audio was really horrible out of the headphone out as I remember it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks.  Are there cables I can buy that would go from a line out to a female headphone out?  The line out works in my ipod player, so the cable might solve my problem if such a thing exists.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Thanks.  Are there cables I can buy that would go from a line out to a female headphone out?  The line out works in my ipod player, so the cable might solve my problem if such a thing exists.

Yes, but the line out has the volume function disabled, so to change the volume you'll need a simplified amplifier. I have no problems recommending the Fiio E1 for the job, it sounds almost identical to the HP out on the 5G/5.5G and is almost exactly what you want. 

I don't think all hope is lost for your HP jack though, did you notice the small brown lever connecting your headphone mechanism to the motherboard? If you've been sliding that flex cable into the terminal without lifting the brown tab then we definetly know what your problem is and the solution should be evident(re-installing your jack 'properly'). 

Buy your parts on ebay, and try a second headphone jack before buying an E1 (that is, if your problem isn't solved). If you are opposed to ebay or don't trust it, I can send you along a new HP jack, I'll be sure to test it beforehand. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 16
I have some updates.  Headcred, I am indeed properly fastening the cable to the terminal, but thanks for the question.  That little brown tab is tricky, but I check it each time so it's not that.  

Furthermore, I had the idea of reinstalling my old jack to see if the same problem with the sound quality persisted.  While it obviously still has the problem of cutting in and out of one ear, the sound quality is great.  This tells me that I am installing the jacks properly, and the problem likely lies with the jack that digiexpress sent me.  If that's the case, it's a huge disappointment to take all this time and care just to be sent a defective part.  Digiexpress doesn't have customer service open until tomorrow (but they are open now for new orders, which irks me).  I will call them and see if I can get them to fedex me a new one or at least give me a refund and pay for return shipping.

The last little thing of note is that the ground tab on the digiexpress one has lots of adhesive residue on it obscuring the gold tab, whereas there is none of that on the old jack's ground tab.  Presumably, when I took the old jack out the adhesive peeled off cleanly onto the backplate, and then stuck to the new jack's tab when it got installed.  Is this something that might be affecting performance, and if so, how would i go about safely removing it from the tab (it is in little bits, so using a an edge to peel it would likely be difficult)?

Thanks again guys, your help is much appreciated.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Another Update:  I peeled off all the adhesive from the ground tab on the digiexpress one.  I got quite excited in thinking that this was what fidele was talking about.  I installed the digiexpress jack again with its shiny gold ground tab, but to no avail.  The same crappy underwater sound, where the vocals are barely audible.  Anything else anyone can think of that I was supposed to peel, prep, ect?  Otherwise, I'm pretty certain that digiexpress has some explaining to do. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 16
New logic board required i think.

i did the same repair on a few ipods and only once was it the jack that was the problem....... the other 2 were faults with the logic board ... and on one of them same thing with the sound being restored in both ears but then sounding muddy but all fixed when logic board switched out.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Stozzer, I was worried it might be the logic board, but in that case, wouldn't the sound quality be bad with both jacks?  As it is, it only sounds muddy with the new jack (the old jack comes in crystal clear, but I'm replacing it because it goes in the right ear only intermittently).

I called digiexpress, they will switch out the part, but they are making me pay for return shipping, which sucks.  I paid the price they quoted me for a working part, and that's all I should have to pay to get it.  Not $3 extra to get one a week later because they don't have proper quality control.  As an attorney, this angers me, but I'm not sure it's worth getting too upset about it. I won't be buying from them again, and I suggest the same to everyone here.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Yes, that's why it's probably the jack. I've had jacks to go bad in the past. If the line out is fine, then it's more than likely the jack. If the problem exist in both the headphone out and the line out, then it's the board. I always get my ipod parts off ebay. You can get the whole jack/hold switch assembly for around 6.00 shipped. And if there's any problem, and the seller doesn't take "full" responsibility, paypal will give you a full refund including shipping.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #13 of 16
I finally got this issue sorted, thanks for all the help here.  I ordered a jack from ebay for $5 and it worked.  Looks like digiexpress sent me a bad part.  But we're up an running over here again.  My joy is only slightly tempered by the fact that I no longer have an excuse to buy an ipod touch/cowan j3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back