Ipod remotes
Oct 3, 2006 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nfusion770

1000+ Head-Fier
I have never owned one, but I am researching now and am having trouble answering my question from online data.

Is there a wireless ipod video remote that functions as the scroll wheel or allows you to have the same functionality? This would be great for the car- mount the ipod in a visible area and control it from afar. It seems all the remotes I find only control volume/previous next track.

Any help appreciated.

Note, I dont want the harmon kardon car thing.

edit: is there any remote- wired or wireless- that allows you control menu's?

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 15
nfusion770 says:
Quote:

Anyone know anything about ipod remotes? Anyone?

I own the AirClick. The remote your looking for would require its own screen and would be very expensive. I do not believe it exists.

Two things to keep in mind (I'm sure there are more). One: I would go with radio and not digital signal. A radio signal will go into bags and around corners. A digital signal is line of sight. Two: This is the BIG ONE, Apple has relocated the distance between the headphone jack and the power plug on the iPod. My AirClick is now obsolete. Get a remote that is self powered.

Good Luck.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 15
Its hard to believe that a remote cannot implement buttons that could handle the menu functions. I realize the scroll wheel may not be feasible, but a remote with buttons like a first gen ipod- kind of hard to imagine this isnt available. It must difficult for some unforseen reason or just simply not cost effective to develop such an accessory.

Thanks for the replies guys, you have saved me a lot of wasted time searching for what doesnt exist.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 15
nfusion770 say:
Quote:

I realize the scroll wheel may not be feasible, but a remote with buttons like a first gen ipod- kind of hard to imagine this isnt available. It must difficult for some unforseen reason or just simply not cost effective to develop such an accessory.

My guess (and it could be a bad one) is that a simple click command (forward, back, up volume or down volume) can be done with ease and with little battery drain. What you want would require two computers connected and talking with one another. Complicated and a battery drainer.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I dont see how its that much different. You could just use arrow buttons instead of a scroll wheel. If a remote can do forward, back, pause/play and stop, it should be able to handle a menu and select button as well.

It seems logical, but what do I know really?

Oct 4, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 15
nfusion770 says:
Quote:

I don't see how its that much different. You could just use arrow buttons instead of a scroll wheel. If a remote can do forward, back, pause/play and stop, it should be able to handle a menu and select button as well.

In all respect, this is not a hard one.

First, you must have two screens. Second, both screen must be communicating and in phase with one another. Third, every move on the remote must be successfully repeated on the iPod (1 click: open Genre; 20 clicks: open Jazz; 40 clicks: open Song and 1 click: Play Song, must be entered on the remote and successfully repeated on the iPod.)

The cost of a screen remote and power head would be expensive - both in money and in battery life. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to take the damn thing out of your pocket and find the song.

Of course, some of the newer radios have this feature hardwired into the unit.

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 15
I understand what you are saying if its in your pocket- I am talking about the car, where the ipod screen would be in plain veiw. In that case you just need buttons that send commands- much like a tv remote (not a lot of battery draw). The point being that you wouldnt have to reach out and remove your plain veiw ipod from a mounted holster, rather you could just use a remote to manipulate all of its functions.

In the car you can just as well retrieve your plain veiw ipod however, so I guess there probably just isnt enough demand for such a thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
nfusion770 says:

In all respect, this is not a hard one.

First, you must have two screens. Second, both screen must be communicating and in phase with one another. Third, every move on the remote must be successfully repeated on the iPod (1 click: open Genre; 20 clicks: open Jazz; 40 clicks: open Song and 1 click: Play Song, must be entered on the remote and successfully repeated on the iPod.)

The cost of a screen remote and power head would be expensive - both in money and in battery life. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to take the damn thing out of your pocket and find the song.

Of course, some of the newer radios have this feature hardwired into the unit.

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 15
nfusion770 says:
Quote:

[A remote] where the ipod screen would be in plain veiw.

I think you may be the only person in the world that would buy such a remote control. I can just see the advertisement: "An Apple Remote that works as long as you can see the iPod screen."

Not much of a remote!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 15
Not sure if or when it is now coming out at this point, but looks interesting.

LINK

MORE INFO

For a car, one of the intergrated stereo seems like the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back