iPod recommendations
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new DAP, and having over 74Gig of ALAC files, I would like to keep it in the iDevice family.  I have a choice right now, and I need some help making the decision.  

Being in Canada, prices are higher, it's already frustrating, no need to point it out, but I can get a 7th Gen iPod Classic with 160G of storage for $270.  Or I can go with a 3rd Gen iPod Touch 64G for $330.  I won't be using this for jogging or any heavy activities, I'm planning on a portable Amp/DAC connection for best possible sound.  But that will be a while away.  So I'll be using the iDevice by itself for the time being.  I also have already an iPhone 3Gs for jogging and such, so even future considerations of activity based use are really not a problem.

Or do I save the cash and wait for Sept(?) for the release of the next gen iPods?

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 9
How about a 5.5 gen 80gig and stuff a larger harddrive in it? although with the algorhythm solo, any Ipod will do, if you are willing to shell out the dough.
My 40gb Ipod Video 5.5gen is rockboxed, crisp and clear, crisper than the Walkman X, not as smooth though...

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm not technically inclined enough to open up an iPod and mess around in there.  Paying someone to do it defeats the purpose of buying used, and you end up spending more.  And I'm pretty picky about the looks of my gear.  Scratches and scuffs would bug me to no end.  I don't mind shelling out for the AlgoRhythm Solo, it's just getting the money together.  That's why it would be in stages.  

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 9
After much reading, and discovering that a LOD from an iPod is NOT digital, I have taken up the search for a 5 or 5.5 gen iPod.  I found this store on ebay http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330446639098, and they have 5 gen iPods that are upgraded.  They also offer upgraded HDD.  I've contacted them, and I am waiting for their answer.  I just have one question for head-fi'ers.  This is the correct iPod with the desired built-in DAC, right?

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 9
you can rockbox the ipod classic now so pick up an ipod classic 160gb. and don't listen to these guys regarding different ipods and sound quality they all sound the same at least to my ears.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Rockbox?!  Yay, something else to read about.  Kidding, it's fun learning this stuff as I go.  They all sound the same, huh?  I'm going to look into the 5 gen, rockbox, and try to make up my mind soon.  Maybe?  Kinda. Sorta?  We'll see. 
confused_face_2.gif
wink_face.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Rockbox?!  Yay, something else to read about.  Kidding, it's fun learning this stuff as I go.  They all sound the same, huh?  I'm going to look into the 5 gen, rockbox, and try to make up my mind soon.  Maybe?  Kinda. Sorta?  We'll see. 
confused_face_2.gif
wink_face.gif

well to me i hear no difference but you might be different. unless you want to do it yourself i think getting a 160gb ipod classic might be a better choice. but you could always buy an 80gb ipod video 5.5 and put a 240gb hd in their but it all comes with risks. apple doesn't like people messing with their products. also keep in mind the ipod video is no longer supported so if any issues arise your on your own.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
No support, huh? Well thatdoes change things a bit. I'm not the most gifted with tiny electronics (read sausage fingers). It sounds to me like you may be making my mind up for me. I do appreciate the advice.

it's all up to you. either way you can't go wrong. just be happy with your choice in the long run. i'm still using an 80gb ipod classic from 2007. got it in 2008 used. very reliable mp3 player considering it uses a hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back