Ipod question
May 27, 2007 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Petyot

100+ Head-Fier
This could be a stupid question but I still need your help on this one : do I need Itune to load an Ipod with music or can I use another program (like winamp or windows media player) ??

Thanks

Pierre

May 27, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petyot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could be a stupid question but I still need your help on this one : do I need Itune to load an Ipod with music or can I use another program (like winamp or windows media player) ??

Thanks

Pierre

Musicmatch Jukebox?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120313

May 28, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 10
You don't need ITunes to load your Ipod. There are other options like the aforementioned Mediamonkey or there are some less flashy alternatives such as Floola (trying that out now with my new 5g) or Anapod (Product works great but don't expect much tech support) as well as a few others which a Google search will definitely reveal. I'm assuming that the music you're moving is stuff you've converted yourself so it's free of Digital Rights Management crap. My whole collection is music I've ripped myself so I find wading through ITunes too kludgy, I don't like lots of GUI (See XNews and Floola).

The sticking point is with DRM music, as in music you buy in digital form that comes with some sort of copyright wrapper making copying it difficult to impossible (well, it's supposed to but...) this is the type of music you get buying from ITunes. Moving it on and off your Ipod, or to another PC/Ipod/etc. gets difficult with all the hoops you have to jump through.

May 28, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 10
You don't need iTunes.
There are lots of alternative applications which can be used to load files on an iPod. Or you could use Rockbox.

May 28, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 10
One of the main reasons I bought an iPod was to use iTunes on my MacBook - I use J River Media Center to organise my main audio files (APE) on my PC for playing through my SqueezeBox.

Also, the iTunes vouchers enable you to download a £7.99 album for less than £2.00 (£100 voucher costs £25/£30)).

May 28, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 10
But iTunes rocks!
blink.gif
You must use it.
icon10.gif
wink.gif

May 29, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 10
i actually like itunes. its awesome if your computer is fast enough to run it- on an older computer this isnt the case.

smart playlists are AWESOME. it organizes my folders for me. its nicely laid out.

if your computer is older, it runs slow as hell and skips down instead of smooth scrolling and it freezes up etc.

the store is awesome too. i've never bought anything from it, but you can click on a song in your library or one in the store and preview them etc...and then you can see other artists that are similar to the one you just heard. helps discover new music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back