IPOD question - Please help
Jun 10, 2003 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Peddler

1000+ Head-Fier
Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Hi

I'm hopefully getting a ued 20gb Ipod (Windows version) in the next day or two. As far as I know there is already some music on the thing. I need to know how to connect it to my PC in a way which doesn't wipe the pod clean - i.e. is it a case of turning autosync off on Musicmatch? Should I totally ignore the CD which comes with the Ipod and install Ephod?

Some timely help here from other Ipod users would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 10, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 11
I suggest you use Ephpod. It will ask you if you want to erase your data on the ipod or if you want to just read the ITUNES DB.
It works great. I dont believe synchronization is turned on by default.. It works much better than musicmatch

Jun 10, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the help Fish (or can I call you Angry?) - I will give this a go.

I can't wait for the Ipod to arrive - however I have another question.

I am getting a gen 2 20gig Winpod - the seller tells me that he has not updated it and I and he are based in the UK. Is it likely therefore that I am going to have an Ipod which has been crippled thanks to our French cousins or will have full output? Looking forward to reading the next exciting installment.

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Peddler,

Not quite sure what you mean by crippled output... Forgive my ignorance. As far as I know, Apple has only one production line for ipods and they are all made to the same specifications for their particular generation. As far as updating it. That is a very simple procedure. You can go to apple's website and download an automatic update program that will perform a flash memory upgrade. (Side Note: DO THE UPGRADE! it's free, it will improve battery life, reduce lockups, and update the ipod to play AAC-MPEG4 files) If you have any other questions I can answer, feel free to ask away.

Welcome to Club IPOD!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 11
AngryFish, do you know where you can get the 1.3 firmware for win Ipods? I think I've seen a few people here with that version, but Apple's website just says "coming soon". I thought I saw a link for it a while back...does anyone still have it? TIA
smily_headphones1.gif

J.F.

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 11
Ill look up the link... I know I saw it a while back.

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Fuse
AngryFish, do you know where you can get the 1.3 firmware for win Ipods? I think I've seen a few people here with that version, but Apple's website just says "coming soon". I thought I saw a link for it a while back...does anyone still have it? TIA
smily_headphones1.gif

1.3 isn't out yet for Windows. You can get the latest Windows version (1.2.6) here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120119

--Chris

Jun 11, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 11
paulj,

Ya beat me to it.

Thats it. I updated my 20gb using winniepod.. Seems to work fine. although getting AAC's on it is a little tricky.

Jun 11, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Does the 1.3 firmware add anything else besides AAC support, the backlight feature on the main menu, and perhaps increased battery life?

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Not that Im aware of.. if it adds anything else, it would be small bug fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back