IPOD problem: Artist vs. Album Artist
Feb 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
So (for example) I know that when you have a continuous DJ mix, you put the individual track artists in the ARTIST field and then put the DJ's name in the ALBUM ARTIST field-in ITUNES..

This allows you to have everything under the DJs name but still have the artists listed for each individual track.

My issue is with my IPOD...my IPOD lists ALL of the individual artists above as opposed to just the ALBUM ARTIST, which is the way its done in itunes. I want show just the ALBUM ARTIST.
Why does Itunes have it one way but my IPOD has it another? Anyway to change this?

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 5
I haven't found an easy way to accomplish that. I think part of the issue is that, even though iTunes is used for (non-iOS) iPod syncing, iTunes is not the iPod OS. There are workarounds which you may or may not find practical.

Since iPods have not always supported gapless playback, I am in the habit of importing DJ mixes (and any other album that I don't listen to as single tracks) onto my iPod as single tracks. I list the album artist as the artist.

Using the iPod's compilation feature will solve half of the problem. It will prevent the individual song artists from being listed with the other artists, but the album artist won't be listed either. Instead, the album will be listed under Compilations.

One could also list the song artist id the song title field, e.g., Song title (Artist Name) and then list the album artist as the artist. This could be done fairly quickly via scripting. This has added benefits for those who have disabled the Ping dropdown menus and restored the "store link arrow" functionality in iTunes, particularly if the arrow functionality is inverted.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I haven't found an easy way to accomplish that. I think part of the issue is that, even though iTunes is used for (non-iOS) iPod syncing, iTunes is not the iPod OS. There are workarounds which you may or may not find practical.
Since iPods have not always supported gapless playback, I am in the habit of importing DJ mixes (and any other album that I don't listen to as single tracks) onto my iPod as single tracks. I list the album artist as the artist.
Using the iPod's compilation feature will solve half of the problem. It will prevent the individual song artists from being listed with the other artists, but the album artist won't be listed either. Instead, the album will be listed under Compilations.
One could also list the song artist id the song title field, e.g., Song title (Artist Name) and then list the album artist as the artist. This could be done fairly quickly via scripting. This has added benefits for those who have disabled the Ping dropdown menus and restored the "store link arrow" functionality in iTunes, particularly if the arrow functionality is inverted.

Interesting...I had no idea that the two OS's were "different" and that what might reflect on one does not necessarily reflect on the other.

At the end of your post you say that "this could be done fairly quickly with scripting"? Can you elaborate on that a bit?

Ive thought about putting the individual artist name in each song but what pain in the ***** that would be considering I have hundreds of dj mixes...

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 5
The first thing I would try are these two scripts in combination:

Append to Selected Tag

and

This Tag That Tag.
Unzip and move the scripts to to the ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts/ folder as directed in the Read Me instructions.

First, select all the tracks you'd like to change. (I'd recommend testing on a single album first.)

Use the first script to prepend " (" to the artist field of the selected songs. Then append ")" to the same field. You may or may not be able to do both in a single step.

Then, use the second script to append the contents of the Artist field to the Name field. Then use the same script to copy the contents Album Artist field to the Artist Field.

Note that those were the first two scripts I found that should be able to accomplish the task. There may be others that work better. Suitable Automator actions may also be available, which could potentially make the process even faster.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Unzip and move the scripts to to the ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts/ folder as directed in the Read Me instructions.

First, select all the tracks you'd like to change. (I'd recommend testing on a single album first.)

Use the first script to prepend " (" to the artist field of the selected songs. Then append ")" to the same field. You may or may not be able to do both in a single step.

Then, use the second script to append the contents of the Artist field to the Name field. Then use the same script to copy the contents Album Artist field to the Artist Field.

I just tested these scripts for the workflow described above, and they worked as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back