iPod, PJB100 ok with no amp for etys 4s?
Apr 26, 2002 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jopi

100+ Head-Fier
The subject says it all.

Is either the iPod or the PJB100 powerful enough for the etys 4s without an amp?
Portability is an issue for me and I don't like hauling an amp around. Should I get the 4P or the 4S?

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a Nomad II MG and it works great with the ER-4s. I believe both the iPod and the PJB100 have more powerful outputs than the Nomad so powering a pair of ER-4s shouldnt be a problem.

Apr 29, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 8
None of the ER-4 series are very hard to drive. You will get plenty of volume out of those into a 4S. However, the 4P will *sound* better with low-powered amps than the 4S.

May 29, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 8
I can't answer your question directly but based on everything I have read (this forum and elsewhere) and feedback I got from the folks at Etymotic Research I ordered the 4P for my iPod.

May 31, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 8
I have the ER4S, ER4P, and ER6.............and the iPod. While the 4S does get sufficiently loud with the iPod, the 4P, being easier to drive, sounds richer, fuller and thus, "better," to my ears. For moving around, though, I prefer the ER6 for their lack of cord microphonics. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Though I haven't tried it I would venture to say that the PJB100 would easily drive 4S's...

My PJB100 can drive my K501s and HD600s to reasonable lisetning levels and still has some headroom.

That said I would never use the PJB without an amp. Even a simple CMOY would help. The reason is that the volume control is digital and as the volume is decreased the noise floor is raised and hides detail. I crank the volume and push it through an amp to keep the volumes at a sane level while still pulling every ounce of sonic goodness the PJB has to offer (which is quite impressive for an MP3 player).

I suspect that the iPod is the same way with regards to the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back