ipod photo
Apr 28, 2007 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
how come ipod photo comes in 30gb and 20gb? and 40gb and 60gb? was there 2 revisions of ipod photos in 20/40 then 30/60? what are the differences other than capacity?

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 15
There were two revisions. The original was called the iPod photo, which had the 30GB/40GB space I believe. Then later they revamped the iPod line and discontinued the iPod 4G monochrome version and changed the iPod photo name to iPod color, which now had 20GB/60GB capacities. The price also dropped, along with a couple of useful accessories (dock, A/V cables, etc.)

In terms of differences, the only ones that I could find would be: capacities, accessories included, and name. You should be happy with either iPods and their internals should be exactly the same.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 15
the 4G iPod photo was originally released in 40GB and 60GB models. Apple then changed the 40GB model to 30GB and used a single platter drive making the player thinner. then they gave color displays to the iPod and discontinued the iPod photo. Those color screen iPod's came in 20GB and 60GB models.

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 15
don't know the reason for your query but I've got the 5g Ipod Photo, 30 gig, and just bought a 4g Ipod monochrome 40 gig to have Vinnie Redwine it. Personally, I don't care about album art, photos, movies, etc. All I want out of my Ipod is great music, linked to my Portaphile.

So it it's music you want, and not the other frills, check out ebay for a cheap 4g Ipod and send it off to Vinnie for mods

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how come ipod photo comes in 30gb and 20gb? and 40gb and 60gb? was there 2 revisions of ipod photos in 20/40 then 30/60? what are the differences other than capacity?

Hahaha... looks like you are really working on it.
eggosmile.gif

By the way, that was a nice meet up today.

Gonna send kroolism the pics that i took today, i think he is gonna post them up.

Good luck in finding an ipod photo. Ciao

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

30/40, 20/60 are u sure?

Well from memory. Not that my memory is that great though...
plainface.gif

It's kind of confusing the way Apple made them to be honest though. Such as when they changed from the 30GB version to the 20GB version. Why lower the capacity? Although that was around the end of the 4G line-up, and the 5G would come out a month or two later...

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 15
@bellsprout:
yes i can confirm that ipod 4G (greyscale) comes in 20/30gb and that color/photo comes in 40/60 gb. Also, the size of ipod color/photo is SLIGHTLY larger (thicker) than monochrome 4G. Therefore, be mindful when u r purchasing skins for it. I know cuz i found out the hard way.....

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 15
there was an iPod Photo, then an iPod photo without the capital letter, this change coincided with the change in disc platters.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 15
i think the first guy was rite, except i dont know where in the chain the 40gb fits in.
bottom line is two things, one is the size, there is a size diff jumping from 30 to 40. the second is the hdd issue. i had a 40g non color for a short time, it was not great, the hdd freqquently sounded or clicked, so i got ride of it quick. i googled and this seemed to be a very common issue. i dunno about the color 40gigs, good luck.

ps~unless you like the size of the photos much more than the videos (which i do), i would not necessarily buy a photo rite now if your not getting a bargain. on ebay a 40g photo costs about as much as a used 30g video at times, at around $135-$155, my advice is to take the video unless some strong pref for the photo or a deal under $100.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ps~unless you like the size of the photos much more than the videos (which i do), i would not necessarily buy a photo rite now if your not getting a bargain. on ebay a 40g photo costs about as much as a used 30g video at times, at around $135-$155, my advice is to take the video unless some strong pref for the photo or a deal under $100.

ah but ur missing why head-fiers buy 4g ipods
wink.gif

hint:imod

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe that bellsprout is looking into the 4G because he wants a RWA iMod, so in that case the video iPods are out of the question as Vinnie will only work on 4G iPods for the iMod.

My advise is if you are going the iMod route, then get a 60GB unit, that way if the larger drive ever comes out and Vinnie can get it to work with the iMod (120GB HD to come...), you'll be able to consider the upgrade if you want, though if space isn't an issue (FLAC, ALAC, lossless files will take up space), and you don't care about colour, you could go tnmike1's route.

You can also get one of the iMods that Vinnie has in stock or through ALO, as Ken is now selling them paired with sweet cryo x silver cables at very good prices.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

ah but ur missing why head-fiers buy 4g ipods
wink.gif

hint:imod

Dude, just get the refurbished unit from Vinnie. It looks and feels like brand new, for just a little extra $$
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back