iPod Photo startup noise: Inevitable?
Nov 26, 2004 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

joncirca57

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings!
I just moved from the 3gen to4th gen iPod photo, and, like many of you, hear the slight hard-drive noise as the buffer fills and, occasionally, a small amount of static. Right channel only.

My question is this. Is there much chance that, if I exchange the unit, the new unit would be noise-free? It seems that most, or at least many of you that have exchanged units still have the problem.

I really like the sharp screen, album art, and being able to show family photos when I travel, so I can live with this. (Not thrilled but not the end of the world, like the 3 red LEDs in my screen.)

Thus is it worth trying to exchange? What is the chance that the new unit would also have the problem?

Thanks,
JW

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by joncirca57
Thus is it worth trying to exchange? What is the chance that the new unit would also have the problem?

I dunno what the chance is, but my iPod Photo doesn't have the static problem.

Also, I hope you're not referring to burned pixels on the screen of your iPod - but if you are, that really sucks (mine's fine) but I know most computer manufacturers won't replace a product based on this problem alone.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Go to the local Apple Store (if you have one!) and bring a pair of headphones that bring this flaw out very well, return the current one, and open the new one in the store, listen, and keep returning them until you find a good one.

I know someone here did that, but I don't know if the iPod comes with any demo music or not, so you may need to bring a laptop.

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I dunno what the chance is, but my iPod Photo doesn't have the static problem.

Argh. I'm going to have to take that back. I do have the problem - a distinct whirl-up then brief bits of static in the right channel during the first two seconds of a track while the harddisk is being accessed. I hadn't noticed out of the Sensaphonics, so was surprised to hear it while using the Shure e5c's for the first time today. And now that I know it's there, I hear it out of the Sensaphonics.

I'm headed to the Apple store now.

-Jason

Nov 27, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 9
From my experience dealing with so-called Apple geniuses...

You should exchange the iPod based on the dead pixels alone. As an added bonus, you get to test whether the new unit will have the static noise. If it does, then you get to go back and give another reason for exchanging it so you don't seem to be whining (from their perspective) over the same problem. Also, see if you can hear it with the Apple earbuds. Those earbuds suck so much that you probably won't, and the "genius" will say if it reproduce the problem with the Apple earbuds, then too bad. If so, try the Apple in-ear earbuds if they have them in the store. If they're like the Sony in-ear earbuds, the noise will be audible.

My 40GB iPod Photo doesn't have the static/whirl noise, but my 4G iPod did. What's frustrating isn't the defect itself since Apple is 100% to blame for not fixing it or releasing the iPod with the problem, but rather there seems to be no pattern to the problem. If there were a problem, at least we could be educated and avoid it. But it showed up on the 4G, then on some 4G units it doesn't, so you'd think Apple would have fixed it. But then it shows up later when the Photo is released. And so you think maybe Photo was made before some of the 4G because Apple stock-piled the Photo for immediate sale. But if the newly manufactured 4G units still have the problem and my Photo acquired early doesn't, then you know what dark and smelly place Apple has its head up.

Nov 27, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
From my experience dealing with so-called Apple geniuses...

You should exchange the iPod based on the dead pixels alone. As an added bonus, you get to test whether the new unit will have the static noise. If it does, then you get to go back and give another reason for exchanging it so you don't seem to be whining (from their perspective) over the same problem. Also, see if you can hear it with the Apple earbuds. Those earbuds suck so much that you probably won't, and the "genius" will say if it reproduce the problem with the Apple earbuds, then too bad. If so, try the Apple in-ear earbuds if they have them in the store. If they're like the Sony in-ear earbuds, the noise will be audible.

My 40GB iPod Photo doesn't have the static/whirl noise, but my 4G iPod did. What's frustrating isn't the defect itself since Apple is 100% to blame for not fixing it or releasing the iPod with the problem, but rather there seems to be no pattern to the problem. If there were a problem, at least we could be educated and avoid it. But it showed up on the 4G, then on some 4G units it doesn't, so you'd think Apple would have fixed it. But then it shows up later when the Photo is released. And so you think maybe Photo was made before some of the 4G because Apple stock-piled the Photo for immediate sale. But if the newly manufactured 4G units still have the problem and my Photo acquired early doesn't, then you know what dark and smelly place Apple has its head up.

You do have to watch Apple and their "hidden" return policy's. They will accept a return for a given problem, and then later if the problem re-occurs, will call the original return a "courtesy" and disavow any further returns!
frown.gif

I also believe that the sound defect and it's continued presence indicate a deep-rooted hardware problem that will only be rectified on the release of the 5g ipod.

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Just a quick note to thank you for the replies. I did also post at iPod Lounge, but did not get any comment. My guess is that they are sick of talking about this one.

FYI, the tape approach does not do anything. My guess is that static via the metal contact with headphones is a separate issue, so if you have it the tape helps, but does not alleviate the static charge of the spinup.

I might try one exchange--but I think I could live with this if I had to. Kind of reminds me of starting up a vinyl (which I still feel are great, by the way).

Prediction: The apple store (Minnesota) will not have heard of this problem, will listen with ear buds and not hear it. I suppose I could cram my UEs into their ears, but that might be taken as rather aggressive.

It does seem to me that quite a few who hear this return the units and hear it on the new ones too.

Again, thanks for the comments.

PS: Sorry for the confusion on the LED comment I made. I was referring to my Powerbook, not the iPod, which has a great screen.

Nov 28, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Argh. I'm going to have to take that back. I do have the problem - a distinct whirl-up then brief bits of static in the right channel during the first two seconds of a track while the harddisk is being accessed. I hadn't noticed out of the Sensaphonics, so was surprised to hear it while using the Shure e5c's for the first time today. And now that I know it's there, I hear it out of the Sensaphonics.

I'm headed to the Apple store now.

-Jason

Please let us know how your visit goes! I have been playing with mine some more and have a question for you. Are the Shure e5c's more sensitive (efficient) than the Sensaphonics? I noticed that when using my apple earphones I run the volume relatively high (approx 70% on the meter) but when I use my UE10 I am running about 30 to 40%. The static is not audible with the Apple. I know that there is a DRASTIC difference between the UE10 and the Apple earbuds, but your comment regarding the e5cs and Sensas made me wonder if the noise was more or less noticeable depending upon sensitivity.

The down side of this is that it makes it really hard to demo the problem at the Genius Bar . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back