iPod Photo sound distortion eliminated by Rockbox?
Feb 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got an iPod Photo 60gb. In the past I had a 20gb version of the same player for a short time, but I didn't like how it distorted at high frequencies. This was apparently a problem with all Photos because Apple didn't get the video/audio circuitry quite right. Anyways, I was originally planning to use mine with an amp to negate the high-end distortion, but since Rockboxing it I haven't noticed any distortion through the HP-out. I haven't really done anything with the stock firmware, but can anyone familiar with Rockbox development here confirm/refute my observation? I've also noticed fuller bass, but that may be due to the SE530's tendency to be boomy with the 4G's crappy bass output.

It definitely sounds much better than I ever remember an iPod sounding, through my SE530's.

[Edit] I should mention that I used to have V-Moda Vibes which are 16ohm, and now I have 36ohm SE530's. Maybe the impedance difference also helps reduce distortion.

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 6
iPods suck
Bose is the best because they cost so much, anyone who says Bose sucks is an idiot
George Bush is the greatest man alive

Someone on this board has gotta know something about the 4G distortion!

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, I still use your old U2 4G sometimes and it clips like crazy with my UM1's. the battery is shot so I think that Rockbox would just about kill it.

Yes. That generation clips, unlike my 2G or 3G nanos.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't know, I had to replace the HD, with a 30GB drive and now it is my secondary source for the bedroom with the dock and remote. It still does its job quite well and still is used almost daily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back