Ipod photo now or 5g later? When?
May 19, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 24
I don't think the X5 has a ID3 tag database... right now it's all folder based. That kills the X5 for me - why should have I have to adapt to a new organizational system when pratically any other player will just give it to me?

May 19, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons
I don't think the X5 has a ID3 tag database... right now it's all folder based. That kills the X5 for me - why should have I have to adapt to a new organizational system when pratically any other player will just give it to me?

Well, that's true but I guess I just don't see much difference. My file tree system is arranged by artist/album/song anyway, so it's the same drill down whether it be via and id3 tag db or just through folders. I suppose others like the option of playing "all" from a particular artist or whatever, so I guess that's the advantage. I play music fairly exclusively one album at a time, so virtually no difference between the two for me.

May 19, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 24
Just to shake things up, and I haven't personally heard the sound on these units, but Toshiba who produces the Gigabeat line will soon have players with the new perpendicular recording HDD's inside. I believe this means non-bloated players once you reach the +40GB club. This would avoid the whole lemming club you referred to earlier.

(Engadget has a brief newsblurb about the whole thing)
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000240043498/

I've thought about drifting to Toshiba, downloaded the interface software via ACubes, but thought it needed some work . I don't know if it's compatible with online music stores, but if it's just CD rips, it's an option.

May 19, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 24
damnit! i just typed out this whole long thing, and then the browser messed up and deleted the whole post. Oh well, this is a shortened version...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Actually all the new Apple players have upgraded battery capacities, with iPods having approx. 12 hours and Minis with approx. 18 hours...compared to the Photo's 15 hours.

the 4g's have 12 hour battery life now? That is a little better. When i've used a 3g ipod, the claimed "8 hours" has been unacceptable, and the fact that it drains the battery when off is horrendous. Is there any firmware hack that gets rid of that?
The mini is way too small for me, but 18 hours on the regular ipod is the main thing making me consider waiting for the 5g's. I guess 12 hours is ok, so I might look at the 40gb regular ipods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons

This is similar to my thinking. My flash player is folder browsing, and while it's ok with 256mb, it certainly isn't desirable for me. A guy at riovolution got an x5, and while he likes the player, he says the folder browsing sucks, even after a couple weeks of using it. If someone like best buy gets these in, I could give it a try to see what I think. The line out adapter on the x5 is kind of large, also; though it is a damn sexy player.

downtownfb- does this gigabeat series have a line out? a portable line out is the main reason for me considering an ipod, so if the gigabeats have a line out, I'll definitely consider them.

So right now it's:
4g 40gb: $320
photo 30gb: $330
photo 60gb: $390
x5 30gb: $350
gigabeat?

I guess it's really between the 60gb phot and x5 30gb right now, although double the space for $40 is tempting.

Did I see somewhere that there is a student discount at apple? That would be nice if I could get 10% off

May 19, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 24
Education discount (if purchased from Apple):

20GB $269
20GB U2 $329
30GB Photo $319
60GB Photo $419 (higher than your listed price)

Free shipping. You can keep checking http://www.dealmac.com for other sales.

As for the battery drain when off, keep in mind the iPod functions as more than just a MP3 player. It's PDA functionality is what requires a clock running (firmware update adding calendars to 1G started the reports of the drain - now alarms probably adds to it). Understandibly if you don't use it, it's a hassle so I get your frustration. At least on the OS X side, there's a ton of other apps that interface with the Notes and Contacts functionality so I use it. Address (besides common ones on my cell phones), list of my books and DVDs, random notes and passwords (disconnected from source) are all on there in my case. Use to have news headlines and film times too.

Listen I don't want to sound like a fanboy. Other players are certainly worth considering, just wanted to explain the reason for the drain and list the above prices.

May 20, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 24
The larger capacity on iPods can really be put to good use. For example, I have OS 10.4 and DiskWarrior installed on mine, as well as a buffer folder used when I want to move several gigs of data between homes.

I read recently that on the PC side, there is now a program that allows one to boot any XP system on the iPod and literally take over a system with your own home directory, etc. Pretty neat if you do any outside consulting, troubleshooting, or so forth. Macs do this as well.

Other considerations are audiobooks. The photo models allow any number of them (though not MP3 versions) to be bookmarked and to be played back at a 25 percent faster rate.

I've had all the iPod models (and still have three) and my advice, if I were in the business of giving it--and I no longer am
biggrin.gif
--is to grab that 60 and never look back.

May 21, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Some market analysts are predicting the 5g to show up as early as july of this year!

I'd trust the tech/Apple predictors far more, but if you have a link or two I'd love to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back