Ipod Photo bad music quality?
Apr 3, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
Bigshot--how do you do this? I have Peak Epress (but don't really use it). Is this just a matter of decreasing the gain?

Decreasing the gain reduces the volume evenly across all the tracks. Normalizing decreases all the tracks to the same volume. This is better for a portable player, because shuffling files of wildly different volume levels can be irritating.

The way you do it is to open the file in Peak, select all, select Normalize from the DSP menu, and set it to 75% or 80%. This will give you a headroom of 20% to boost with. I don't think Peak Express has a batch process function, so it will be slow going to do large amounts of files, but there are probably shareware programs that will let you do it.

See ya
Steve

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Hold on, hold on! I really doubt the person who started this thread is trying to be a troll. His question is valid and it's only been a little over a day since he started the thread.
rolleyes.gif
Because he is questioning the sound quality of a product he's suddenly trolling?
tongue.gif

Just for the record applegd just as you found your D-EJ2000 to sound better than your iPod Photo I too found my D-EJ2000 to sound better than my Nomad Zen so I know where you're coming from. In my case switching to a more lively headphone (the KSC-35s instead of the PortaPros--which I had come to prefer on my D-EJ2000) pretty much cured the problem. Perhaps something similar would work to you. Then again the D-EJ2000 is one fine sounding and musical PCDP and none of the DAPs I've tried (iPod, Zen and Karma) have quite been able to match it in sound quality (although I did eventually go the DAP route due to convenience).

Here is my story:
Turn off all EQing in the iPod, and disable the bass boost on my CD. Then encode a track as lossless and put it on the iPod. Compare the lossless file played flat to the CD played flat. (Also I put volume level at 50% of max. volume on both). You'll find that there is MUCH difference.

Then following testing began:
1. Load .wav files from PC to IPOD. Each .wav file contain one single frequency audio signal. Each audio signal lasts for 60 seconds.
Burn CD use above .wav file for SONY D-EJ2000 use.
2. Connect my IPOD Photo 40G(use head phone port) to Audio Wave Analyzing Instrument, play one .wav file, check the distortion of the wave on the screen of instrument.
3.Connect my SONY D-EJ2000(use head phone port) to same Audio Wave Analyzing Instrument, play the same .wav file, check the wave on the screen of instrument.Compare the result.

Here is my results.
1) My IPOD Photo 40G(with software R1.1) have bad peak clipping distortion at following frequency: 200/400/500/600/700/800/900/1000Hz
2) My IPOD Photo 40G have obvious other distortion at 20/40/60/80/120Hz
3) From 3KHz above, the signal from IPOD photo and D-EJ2000 are almost same perfect.

Some people may say, why not use LINE-OUT port to test? Yes, I did, same result.

Good luck to your IPOD Photo with "great" sound, it might be later batch(I guess, but no official confirmation from apple as I know of). Mine will be returned to store soon. Someone have interest and access to profesional audio analyzer, you can see more.

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #18 of 23
Sounds like it's defective.

See ya
Steve

Apr 4, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
Also I put volume level at 50% of max. volume on both

applegd, wouldn't it make more sense to have the volume on both devices the same?

- Justin

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by noname
applegd, wouldn't it make more sense to have the volume on both devices the same?

- Justin

During my testing, because I always see SONY D-EJ2000 produces nice sinewave on the certain requested frequencies(Range from 20-2KHz) which my IPOD photo has very obvious distortion, so I did intensive testing against my IPOD photo.

One of the factors I considered is the volume on the IPOD photo. When use headphone port, No matter what volume I use range from 1-100% of maximun volume, the very obvious distortion is still there.

FYI. I checked ipodlounge and apple IPOD discussion forum, some other people saw exactly same problem.

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Decreasing the gain reduces the volume evenly across all the tracks. Normalizing decreases all the tracks to the same volume. This is better for a portable player, because shuffling files of wildly different volume levels can be irritating.

The way you do it is to open the file in Peak, select all, select Normalize from the DSP menu, and set it to 75% or 80%. This will give you a headroom of 20% to boost with. I don't think Peak Express has a batch process function, so it will be slow going to do large amounts of files, but there are probably shareware programs that will let you do it.

See ya
Steve

Thanks.

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Sounds like it's defective.

See ya
Steve

Indeed. I have a 60gig iPhoto with none of these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back