Ipod or Nomad Jukebox 3?
Feb 20, 2003 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
Both are 20GB.
Which is better overall?
I like small size of iPod, but I'm told Nomad Juke 3 has better sound quality as well as more features.

Feb 20, 2003 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 10
I have not heard the IPOD so I cannot comment on that. I can tell you that the Nomad sounds excellent - by far the best portable music player I have heard to date (and I have heard quite a few).

The advantages it has over the IPOD are:

Ability to record from line in/optical in/microphone.
User changable batteries - has the facility to use two to increase playback time.
Plays back WMA and uncompressed WAV
Both Firewire and USB for maximum connectivity.
Infra-red remote control

I must point out that with the leather pouch that came supplied with mine I have no problems carrying the unit around with me - I have replaced my Sony MDR900 MD recorder (which was truly tiny) with this unit without any problems. Whilst the IPOD is clearly smaller I honestly don't think it's worth sacrificing all those additional features for the size advantage.

I hope this helps.

Feb 20, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I just read on another newsgroup that with rebate, J&R supposedly has the NJB3 for $200. I already have one so I don't know if this is true or not. If so, this is a heck of a deal!

Feb 20, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Audio formats supported: MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV, AIFF, Audible® (for Mac only)(4)

the ipod can play uncompressed wave files. wma sucks, i really don't know why anybody would want to use it, ever.

i just got an ipod recently and i have to say i am seriously impressed with it. it's such a sexy little bitch. right now, i'm finding that the ety 4s matches so amazingly well with it. yes, an amp improves the sound a bit, but it's such an amazing portable system. very small and easy to carry around. apple's price is high, but they certainly don't skimp out on the quailty of the product or accessories. i have yet to open the stock headphones (ebay!) but the power adapter and carrying case are all of very high quality. so far, i think the stock carry pouch is the nicest one i've seen. those iskins are all such ugly colors.

anyway, if you can foot the bill, i think the ipod is damn awesome. although, i've owned quite a few creative products over the years and decided to never buy from them again. they really are a crappy company with horrible support for all of their products. either way, have fun using whichever product you end up picking!

Feb 21, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 10
NOmad Jukebox 3 won't work on a Mac. Supposedly they stopped supporting Macintosh. At least that's what I saw on the box

Feb 21, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Simple answer:

iPod is a better player
-better looks
-better user interface

NJB3 is a better value
-more features
-less expensive

I have the iPod. The sound is comparable in my opinion. I don't care for extraneous "features". In fact, I chose the iPod because it DIDN'T have all that additional stuff. As an audio enthusiast, I like my components simple. I prefer focused, striped down and functional products that perform well.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"
-Antoine de Saint Exupery

Sep 17, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Even simpler answer:

IPod:
smaller

NJB3 is:
less expensive
has better sound quality
has more features
is more customizable (I just created my own faceplate)

Oh, for you mac people....you should get a PC!!! But seriously, if you use Notmad Explorer (a third party app), you can use your Jukebox as a network drive...yes, that's right, you can access your NJB3 over a network from Macs or Pcs alike!

Also, why would we (as people obsessed with sound quality) settle for anything less than the best sound quality?

Sep 17, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Zemo
NJB3 is:
less expensive

True.

Quote:

has better sound quality

Not necessarily.

Quote:

has more features

Sort of. It has different features, but the iPod has features it doesn't have, as well.

Quote:

is more customizable (I just created my own faceplate)

confused.gif

Quote:

Oh, for you mac people....you should get a PC!!! But seriously, if you use Notmad Explorer (a third party app), you can use your Jukebox as a network drive...yes, that's right, you can access your NJB3 over a network from Macs or Pcs alike!

You can use your iPod as a bootable hard drive, and can share it over a network.

Quote:

Also, why would we (as people obsessed with sound quality) settle for anything less than the best sound quality?

We aren't.

The Nomad and iPod are both excellent players. The both sound great -- some people prefer one, some people prefer the other. They both have features the other one doesn't. Try them both out for yourself and get the one you personally like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back