iPod open or closed headphone recommendations (very detailed post)
Nov 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

urbo73

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've searched this forum left and right over the last several days, but the more I read, the more confused I get. So I am making a post that's very specific/tailored to my needs, and hopefully I can get a few recommendations.

Where I live I don't have places to audition any good headphones unfortunately, but I did find one lonely place where I tried a Beyer Dynamic DT 770 which sounded horrible (weak at 100% volume, etc.) on my iPod. It was a demo unit, but it was the 80ohm version, so I was sruprised at the weak sound since I've seen posts here saying the DT770 is fine with iPod without an amp. Maybe it was just beat up and old - no idea.

So here goes, my list/criteria that should hopefully narrow things down as far as recommendations go:

- budget = $300 max
- only source = iPod (ALAC encoded files)
- no portable amp
- open or closed headphones (I'm "open", no pun intended, to both as long as the sound is good)
- sound leakage is not an huge issue (hence the above)
- comfortable to wear (I also wear eyeglasses and I don't want something that has huge clamping force)
- neutral (I don't want crazy bass, crazy highs, colored sound, etc.) - this is very important!!!!
- I listen to classical, rock, rap, - everything really (so I want something neutral and not specific for
one genre)

So with the above criteria, I just want the best headphone (open or closed) that is neutral and revealing, and basically reproduces what's coming in. I want it to be faithful. I've read all sorts of posts about the "Grado sound", this and that, etc., and while I realize sound/hearing is subjective, and headphones are different, surely there must be some headphones that are more neutral and good for all sorts of music that meet my criteria. My ears are very good, and I really DO listen to a wide variety of music. Why the iPod? Well my lifestyle dictates that at the moment. Yeah, I realize the DAC and amp in the iPod is not great, I realize a portable amp will drive some/most headphones better, etc. But that's not the point. I'm looking strictly for the absolute best given my criteria above. I've read many, many threads and posts, and they tend to go off on tangents. So by being very specific in my criteria above, I'm hoping to cut through some of my confusion and arrive at 3-4 choices or so.

From what I have read here, popular choices are the ATH-ESW9 (loud enough for iPod w/o amp?), Sennheiser HD25-1 II (too clampy?), and Denon AH-D1001. These are all closed phones, which is fine. I also read good things about the Grados, but differing views on which (60i, 80i, 125i, or 225i) can work well with an iPod without an amp. But then I also read good things about the Beyer DT770, and the ones I tried sounded VERY weak....

I will be using these mostly indoors, so that's why sound leakage/isolation is not a huge deal.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 7
ATH-ESW9 sound quite good unamped.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Which model iPod do you have ? If you arent prepared to amp your player, you really need to ensure that you pick phones that will play to the strengths of whichever generation iPod you have.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies. After some more searching, it comes down to either ther ESW9s or the Grado 225s. One closed, one open, but I can't test them to see how different they may sound. Damn!
frown.gif

As far as my iPod, I have the latest 160GB Classic one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back