Ipod: Old vs New?
Dec 5, 2002 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

williamgoody

Banned
I had a new generation Ipod at one time. Since then I've moved on to the JB3 and found it to be a better sound. Today I got my hands on an "old school" ipod, and demoed it with the NJB3. I know the issu of "lean bass" has come up with the ipod recently. I've been listening today to both of them, using the MP3 "I Love You" by Sarah McLachlan, and the wave file "Mercy Street", using the Ath EM7's, Grado SR 60's, and the Ksc 35's. Discounting the 35's. I don't hear any difference in bass response between the two, yet I remember when I had the 20GIG, I did notice that "lack" of bass.
Could this solely be an issue between the old and new generation Ipods? To me out of the 10 giger, the sound is equal in quality to that of the NJB3, if anything it's a touch brighter, with the vocals just ever so slightly recessed on the NJB3. This listening was done out of the headphone jack for both.
Am I crazy? Is this at all possible? Overall to me it's a dead heat between the two.

Dec 5, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 10
I've also had two iPods at different points in time. Never had them side by side so I can't say if I find them to be different, but it's possible that Apple made some minor, undocumented changes with the new versions. Things like this happen all the time in various industries.

I'm using the EM7s too
biggrin.gif
Still waiting for Apple to deliver a truly customizable EQ thing.. hope they do this in the next update.

Dec 6, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Leon, I have to say, the ipod is the only thing I own that does the EM7's any justice.

I've only heard the EM7s with the iPod, but I like them so far. It's a bummer that I'm surrounded by so much noise sometimes, using open phones just doesn't work *sob*

Dec 6, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Bill, I have both the newer 20 gig (thanks to you!) and the older 5 gig. I hear absolutely no difference in bass response between the two. Now, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison using the same song, but, in general, I've not noticed any difference.
As far as the ATH-EM7 is concerned, I also use it a lot with my iPod and do enjoy the sound. However, I find that I have to use the EQ setting "bass booster" to get any kind of bass out of them. And that's with both the 5 gig and 20 gig models. I feel that if they pressed a bit harder against my ear, the sound, particularly the bass response, would improve tremendously.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I agree with Joe. I have both 5 and 20 GB models which I listen to with a variety of 'phones, not including the EM7s. Using HPs capable of really serious bass, such as the CD3K, I hear absolutely no difference.

Spad

Dec 6, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Joe I agree concerning the settings, except I use treble reducer with the EM7's to bring out the bass.

I went to the apple store today with my Sr60's to compare. Very unscientific I understand, but with the new 10 gig I heard, there was some bass deficiency, but not with the 20 gig model. Both had the same song by Eveything From the Girl on it. So I'm pretty well convinced that with some pieces this could be the case at least.

It's feasible because when there were all these problems with the battery consumption with updater 1.2, many, many people chimed in that they were having problems, but a lot of people said they were'nt having any problems as well. Same with the "lock up" issues with jogging. A lot did, but some didn't experience this. It's possible to me that this "lack pf bass" matter could fall under this assumption too.

Dec 10, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 10
I "downdated" (pffft) from 1.2.1 to the 1.1 software today, and this interesting thing happened...

The current iPod I've got is a refurbished first-generation (before Apple changed their "corporate" font) 5GB, and it came with the latest 1.2.1 software. With most MP3s of any bitrate/encoder, if I used an equzalizer preset that boosted the low frequencies, they tend to distort. What I did was to drop the volume of every MP3 by 10 or 20% in iTunes, and that'd solve the problem. Sound check was always off.

The 1.1 doesn't do this... nothing distorts despite the same equalizer presets.
I'm assuming the presets haven't been modified between updates, of course. I might also be hearing a bit of the difference that williamgoody has heard, but at this time of the night, it could just as easily be my imagination too.

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Joe I agree concerning the settings, except I use treble reducer with the EM7's to bring out the bass.

Thanks for that tip, Bill.......it's much more balanced using that setting than the bass boost.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back