Ipod Nano sound quality???
Oct 5, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #106 of 132
Just wondering, has the MP3 VBR issue been cleared up? Not having gapless playback isn't the deal breaker for me, but not properly playing MP3 VBR is. Also which earphones do you guys prefer with the nano? Shure E4 or UE SuperFi Pro 5?

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #107 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
Just wondering, has the MP3 VBR issue been cleared up? Not having gapless playback isn't the deal breaker for me, but not properly playing MP3 VBR is. Also which earphones do you guys prefer with the nano? Shure E4 or UE SuperFi Pro 5?

So far (2+ weeks, couple hours a day of listening) and I've had no problem with my Nano with VBR mp3's. All my music is ripped with lame -alt preset extreme.

I have the Super.fi 5 Pros and I think they sound fantastic paired up with the Nano. I've had Ety ER-6, ER-6i's, Shure E3c, Sony Ex-81SL, UE Super.fi 5 EB's and Pros and I can honestly say the Nano and Super.fi5 Pros are exactly what I'm looking for in a portable setup. I havent heard the e4's so I can't really say wether they sound better or worse.

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #108 of 132
False's avitar = Damn funny movie
eggosmile.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #109 of 132
My iPod got nicked a couple of weeks ago, and I can't decide between the nano and iAudio's X5.
all the references until now were between different generations of pods. could someone draw any parallels between the nano and other mp3 players (namely the X5 and some of the iRivers), mainly sound quality-wise?

-Jonathan

Oct 6, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #110 of 132
Quote:

does that issue include the track skipping or pausing for a millisecond, because my APS/APX rips have been doing that occasionally which scares me a bit. not digging it too much but i swapped out the ipod headphones (i know i know
biggrin.gif
) and plugged in my Ety ER6's and they seem to not skip around as much.

trying to figure out if its a headphone problem or ipod problem, although when i took my apx ripped tracks that skipped and converted it to AAC just in itunes... the problem went away. a little upsetting but i still am not entirely sure what it is.

Oct 6, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #111 of 132
Quote:

No, it's not. Nano skips on certain LAME VBR encodings.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=37025

Oct 7, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #112 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
No, it's not. Nano skips on certain LAME VBR encodings.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=37025

What a joke! I really don't understand all this Apple cheerleading when they are obviously just as oblivious to real world user concerns as the big bad Microsoft. Neither one give a damn and they are both really only concerned with the bottom line. It is a business afterall... this sucks though, I was going to buy an Ipod in a few days, but now FORGET IT! Half my collection is LAME VBR and if the damn thing won't even play them...

Oct 7, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #113 of 132
Did you read all the posts at Hydrogenaudio?

It's not all iPod's, just the Nano. A small percentage of people are experiencing problem with some VBR Mp3's skipping on the Nano. It's not a major epidemic and certainly not worth jumping to the conclusion that all iPods won’t play your VBR mp3s.

For the record I've had no problem with any of my Lame -ape mp3s playing on my Nano.

Oct 7, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #114 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by false
Did you read all the posts at Hydrogenaudio?

It's not all iPod's, just the Nano. A small percentage of people are experiencing problem with some VBR Mp3's skipping on the Nano. It's not a major epidemic and certainly not worth jumping to the conclusion that all iPods won’t play your VBR mp3s.

For the record I've had no problem with any of my Lame -ape mp3s playing on my Nano.

Well it's good to hear you haven't had problems. Yes, I did read the article and from what I've read it's not just the Nano, the Ipod photo and Mini also have the same problems with some VBR mp3s. There is a prog called VBRfix out there for all platforms that is supposed to fix this problem, but given that it has been an issue for a long time it's ridiculous that Apple hasn't done anything to address this problem when it's basically a minor software update.

Oct 8, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #115 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
What a joke! I really don't understand all this Apple cheerleading when they are obviously just as oblivious to real world user concerns as the big bad Microsoft. Neither one give a damn and they are both really only concerned with the bottom line. It is a business afterall... this sucks though, I was going to buy an Ipod in a few days, but now FORGET IT! Half my collection is LAME VBR and if the damn thing won't even play them...

Well, that does it! An American corporation concentrating on its bottom line. What's next, capitalism? And all this time I thought my VBR rips were playing perfectly well, but now I learn that Apple's been tricking me all along. It's not just me that's being tricked either. How about all those lemmings that keep Apple number one in the customer satisfaction ratings? They can't even come up with plastic that can't be scratched. Boy, does that make me mad!

I wonder what they're going trick us with on the 12th. Personally, I can't wait to find out.

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #116 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by eggplant of doom
My iPod got nicked a couple of weeks ago, and I can't decide between the nano and iAudio's X5.
all the references until now were between different generations of pods. could someone draw any parallels between the nano and other mp3 players (namely the X5 and some of the iRivers), mainly sound quality-wise?

-Jonathan

I haven't heard the Nano but I have heard (and own) most of the other ipods including the shuffle which many people including myself believe is the best sounding ipod at a given bitrate. I haven't heard anyone claim that the nano sounds better than the shuffle, and on that basis, having recently bought an X5 I can unreservedly recommend it over the nano unless you really need the small form factor. I also own the iriver H 140 and unless you really need the optical out my vote for the X5 remains. If you are planning to use your player unamped my recommendation applies even more-this is the first dap I'm quite happy to listen to unamped.

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #117 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Well, that does it! An American corporation concentrating on its bottom line. What's next, capitalism?

Hah! With remote control Illuminati Apple mind control frankenstein spies like yourself, Apple has covered all the bases
tongue.gif

Seriously though, in browsing the Apple forums, the almost cultish support for a multi-billion dollar corporate entity, bordering on LOVE, well it sorta freaks me out.

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #118 of 132
Quote:

Hah! With remote control Illuminati Apple mind control frankenstein spies like yourself, Apple has covered all the bases
tongue.gif

Seriously though, in browsing the Apple forums, the almost cultish support for a multi-billion dollar corporate entity, bordering on LOVE, well it sorta freaks me out.

It's not that we want to be cultish, but some things simply can't be denied. Just yesterday Steve Job's face spontaneously appeared on a tortilla in Cupertino and Apple stock rocketed to record heights.

Before converting to Appleism I was president of the Appalachian Snake Handler's Guild and often spoke in tongues. Now I juggle iPods and post on Head-Fi. Not only is this more fun, but there is also a lot less swelling.
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #119 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Before converting to Appleism I was president of the Appalachian Snake Handler's Guild and often spoke in tongues. Now I juggle iPods and post on Head-Fi. Not only is this more fun, but there is also a lot less swelling.
tongue.gif

And I thought my life was exciting... the 'Appalachian Snake Handler's Guild' is awesome. So, what do you think, have we effectively killed this thread yet?

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #120 of 132
Quote:

Well it's good to hear you haven't had problems. Yes, I did read the article and from what I've read it's not just the Nano, the Ipod photo and Mini also have the same problems with some VBR mp3s. There is a prog called VBRfix out there for all platforms that is supposed to fix this problem, but given that it has been an issue for a long time it's ridiculous that Apple hasn't done anything to address this problem when it's basically a minor software update.

Muck- If it makes you feel better I have had 3 nanos and all have played flawlessly with my mps, all are lame vbrs! Nano says: don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
eggosmile.gif

P.S. has that dog had his vision checked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back