iPod nano officially NOT firewire compatible (transfer)
Sep 8, 2005 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
I know there's been some discussion of the seemingly contradictory USB transfer and Firewire & USB charge specs on the Apple page. Well that's what it is. You can charge by Firewire, but transfers are only USB. There's even a special message displayed when you hook up Firewire.

Unfortunate news for us Mac people who have a machine prior to Apple accepting USB2.0. Who knows a cheap OS X compatible USB2.0 PCI card? Sucks having superior technology by Apple and not being able to use it.

Anyway typing this from a demo iMac in an Apple store. Nanos screen is very very slightly jaggy compared to iPod Photo, but otherwise size, feel, etc. is great. Let me state the obvious... the black is uber sexy.

Wasn't able to do an audible test though. Two models passing around entire floor.

Sep 8, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Who knows a cheap OS X compatible USB2.0 PCI card? Sucks having superior technology by Apple and not being able to use it.

I've got one of these pci cards in my 450mhz sawtooth Mac. It's got 2 firewire and 3 usb2 ports. They all work fine on my machine. It eliminated some nagging problems I had with the Shuffle choking on updates through the native usb 1.1. Best $30 I've spent on my old mac. And Other World Computing has given me excellent phone support.

Sep 8, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm really really disappointed about that... Becoz' of the coming "Macintel" era, I don't really feel like replacing my old-but-trusty 12" PowerBook Rev.A. However, it comes with Firewire and USB1.1 only. What a shame that Apple took away the Firewire compatibility which is its own pioneer technology.

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 19
I'm guessing Apple probably observed marketing and sales numbers, their total # of firewire accesories sold vs. total of usb accesories sold worldwide, and USB might be winning by a significant marging. Also removing firewire circuitry related to the transfering might have saved maybe some space and battery. Well just wild guessing.

Anyway thanks for the update on this Blessingx!

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 19
the black IS ubersexy UNTIL you get a scratch... i just got mine and its sad when it gets scratched (stupid clear plastic... you wipe it with even a clean towel it gets scratched, use clean microfibers only...)

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 19
People use firewire?
tongue.gif

I've only used an external hard drive and iPod with firewire (before they went USB), and have had more problems than USB2. For me, it may be faster, but not as reliable (write delay failure with the iPod before Apple fixed it, and with the external hard drives as well) and thus not worth using.

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 19
I have a dual Firewire/USB external drive. Only ever had problems withe the USB part.

BTW, in case there is any doubt...

12.jpg

And thanks for the recommendation Jeff E.

Sep 9, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
People use firewire?
tongue.gif

I've only used an external hard drive and iPod with firewire (before they went USB), and have had more problems than USB2. For me, it may be faster, but not as reliable (write delay failure with the iPod before Apple fixed it, and with the external hard drives as well) and thus not worth using.

I think you are generalising there. You've had a problem and think it applies to everyone else. Which isn't logical. I've two idential USB2 external drives and one gives me loads of problems and the other one doesn't. Just one of those hardware gremlins you get.

Apple has a history of dropping support for legacy hardware. Nothing surprising about that.

Obviously there were more advantages in dropping FW support than keeping it. rsaavedra is probably right, saved space, battery and I'd add cost to that aswell.

Sep 9, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Sucks having superior technology by Apple and not being able to use it.

What do you mean by "superior technology"? IEEE 1394 requires less system resources but, at the end of the day, it is slower than USB2.0. Which is probably why Apple is moving on.

Edit: What I don't understand is why they didn't use IEEE1394.B. I know the standard does not belong to them anymore but, surely, it's the most sensible way forward for Apple at least. Despite being 5 years old, they don't even include it on their PC's bar the Hi-End ones.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
but, at the end of the day, it is slower than USB2.0. Which is probably why Apple is moving on.

That's a misleading statement! On paper USB2 it's slightly faster but in numberous real world test Firewire spanks USB2.0. Theoretically it has higher burst rates but it can't sustain the transfer rates that Firewire does. If you are filling up a hard drive or flash drive the sustainability is felt.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taphil
People use firewire?
tongue.gif

Absolutely not! My LaCie Firewire DVD+RW Drives are actually (slightly) faster and produce less burn errors than their USB equivalents. This could also have something to do with the Adaptec Firewire Card I am using as well, which I find to be very reliable.

The Nano's lack of full firewire support is bad news for me, but not a deal-breaker...

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I know there's been some discussion of the seemingly contradictory USB transfer and Firewire & USB charge specs on the Apple page. Well that's what it is. You can charge by Firewire, but transfers are only USB. There's even a special message displayed when you hook up Firewire.

Unfortunate news for us Mac people who have a machine prior to Apple accepting USB2.0. Who knows a cheap OS X compatible USB2.0 PCI card? Sucks having superior technology by Apple and not being able to use it.

Dang it! And I so wanted to get one, but I have a 2003 Powerbook, which only has firewire and USB1.1. No way I'm going to get the Nano and suffer through USB1.1 to load songs. Guess I'll have to continue using my 2G iPod Mini til my laptop dies...
mad.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Depending on your PB model size, there's always PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards, but that's adding cost to the equation. Know your pain here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back