iPod nano? Hmmmm..........
Oct 1, 2005 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I was talking to my dad the other night, and he told me that he was thinking of buying an ipod nano. However, he was put off very quickly when he read that most people who bought an ipod nano (in HK anyway) were complaning about cracked screens on delivery.

So, did anyone else have this problem? I was just intrigued to hear such a complaint because you wouldn't expect apple to sell people faulty products...

By the way, he's now got himself an iRiver h320 like me instead, and he's also getting an iRiver T10 to use when he goes hiking.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 9
I got one and like it ok. I tried it out in the coin pocket of my jeans and it came out crackless. I gave it a little bending and pressed on the screen and it didn't seem possible to easily break it.

I dropped it on pavement once and not a mark came from it, and it's solid state and very light so it can't be damaged internally like that. It's a scratch magnet though; every day use will leave a tiny blemish. I put clear packing tape on it and it looks fine and doesn't scratch. Can't even tell it's there.

Apple has decided to replace cracked lcds for free. They attributed it to supplier error, as "less than 1/10th of 1%" are defective. I notice AAPL stock dropped 4.4% the day the problem started making the news, in spite of a 3 year long uptrend. Funny.

Had a mini, minis are great because they're indestructable (+ cost less and have more batt life), but the nano is just right in size (+ color screen), it's a trade off. I had that thing in my pocket with my KEYS and it came out looking new.

But I think I'd rather have a Zen Microphoto when it comes out. If it were smaller than the mini I'd buy it in a second. Does anyone know when it's supposed to come out?

Wait-by then Apple will probably come out with yet another ipod that has FM and voice recording and video-which is something I want...

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23
...most people...

blink.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, if they sell a million of them and 1000 people complain about broken screen it's really not that bad. For years, other products including digital cameras have been having broken lcd problems. As long as your dad has access to an Apple store or is willing to deal with the warranty service (which is supposed to be good), it's fine.

Oct 1, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12340987
I dropped it on pavement once and not a mark came from it, and it's solid state and very light so it can't be damaged internally like that. It's a scratch magnet though; every day use will leave a tiny blemish. I put clear packing tape on it and it looks fine and doesn't scratch. Can't even tell it's there.

Found another approach today
http://todd.dailey.info/archives/200...can-of-brasso/

The complaints about the nano are along with the level of hype that everything iPod seems to receive these days.

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 9
Me too. I have three 5.5 gen Classics , two Nanos and one that I forgot what it is. They all still work, and I use the Classics with a portable DAC Amp when I walk for three or four miles. Older tech that still sounds good.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 9
Me too. I have three 5.5 gen Classics , two Nanos and one that I forgot what it is. They all still work, and I use the Classics with a portable DAC Amp when I walk for three or four miles. Older tech that still sounds good.
It’s those Wolfson DACs! I have a 5gen Video that interfaces with Foobar2k via the plug-in perfectly! It’s a beautiful thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back