ipod nano case with magnet
Sep 24, 2006 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pagail118

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a case for a ipod nano and I found this one that I like, but it has a magnet in it. I don't know if it's for holding the nano in place or just to close the cover, but do you think it's a good case or it will probably brake it in the long run ? I don't know how sensitive the nano is too magnet as it doesn't have a hard drive.

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 14
Magnet should be absolutely fine. Flash memory doesn't depend on magnetism to read/write data at all.

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 14
milkpowder says
Quote:

Magnet should be absolutely fine.

I am not saying that some things can't get screwed-up by a magnet, but I remember some website taking one of those giant bulk magnet erasers and placing it top of all kinds of electrical devises and digital media. Nothing happened!
blink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
milkpowder says

I am not saying that some things can't get screwed-up by a magnet, but I remember some website taking one of those giant bulk magnet erasers and placing it top of all kinds of electrical devises and digital media. Nothing happened!
blink.gif

A normal consumer magnet is probably not strong enough to rearrange the data on the HDD platters enough to actually do any damage. Again, magnets will not damage/corrupt data on solid-state media such as flash drives.

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the info ! Hope the magnet doesn't rip the iron out of me
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 14
I have the DLO flip case for the Ipod Video. The case has a magnet but does not interfere with the Ipod's hard drive at all. I like the magnetic clasp a lot more than velcro clasps or the Belkin friction clasp/tab.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 14
I have been using this leather magnetic case with my 4gb nano for a few months now, it has worked fine. I like the case as it stays closed, protects the nano and also comes with a belt clip that works well.

The nano did freeze once, however this was shortly after upgrading the nano to the current software.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
If youve got a magnet powerful enough to mess with flash memory, youve got bigger problems, like the magnet ripping the iron out of your blood. Quite literally.

Pretty much all there is to this...

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 14
I used to have a nano, sold for bicycle and my computer and my life. But I had a case almost exactly like that. As well, I have the ipod remote dock which I used to sync, charge and connect to my hi-fi. That case had to come off if I were to use the bloody thing and it damaged my ipod more than anything else. The thing was a bloody scratchy mess by the time it was sold.
mad.gif

Cheers

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 14
How does it scratch it ? The ipod is holding in place and its surface doesn't come in contact with anything ? Is it becose it move inside the case or because it scratched it when you were removing the ipod from the case ?

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 14
I used the same case for a few months and never had a problem with the magnetic cover. Should be good to go.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 14
I've never used a case with a magnet. I'm not concerned for damaging the electronics, but I have had small magnets corrupt the magnetic strips on the back of my credit cards that were stored in the same clothing pocket.

So if you do use a case with a magnet, keep the case away from your credit cards.

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 14
Yes, the case did damage my ipod, but only because I had to move the ipod out of the case often. The leather fit-like-a-glove cases require some tug to get it out, if anything in the time you use the dock or something to recharge or connect to your hi-gi gets in the case at all, it will seriously scar your ipod nano. Deep smudges, scars and other small artifacts showed up. Eventually, I got an ipod sock because it is actually soft.

That said however, if you do not move your ipod out of the thing, it should be okay... but

Users who are viewing this thread

Back