iPod Nano 4G vs. Sansa Fuze
Dec 4, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DunninLA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the purpose of gapless. Is this for dance music?

I have only about 250 cds, and I can't think of any that don't have gaps... even the classical usually has 3-4 gaps in long symphonies.

2 that immediately come to mind are Beatles Abbey Road, and Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. On the original vinyl there was sound recorded even where the groove went across the visible track break.

A lot of live concert recordings run an hour per CD with no gaps, but put gapless track breaks at each song.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mp3 inherently has gaps because the frames can't be arbitrary lengths. There are a couple of schemes to get gapless playback by storing the exact length of a track either in the mp3 file's metadata or the player's database. Then (if the player "knows" about the kludge) it can skip the unused time in the last frame. There are a couple of schemes for this, and neither part of the MP3 standard, so the encoder and player have to both be on the same page. If you have a new enough Itunes and a new enough Ipod it works. I think AAC has the same issue.

Ogg/vorbis and Flac, on the other hand, were designed to be gapless from the start, though that doesn't mean all players are smart enough to read the next file and be ready to play the instant the current track finishes.

i think that is why i said it all has to do with the firmware and software. no matter the codec, gapless can be achieved but it is up to the software/firmware. if the fuze had it and aac, it might be a contender. but then, i do prefer all metal to all plastic.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that is why i said it all has to do with the firmware and software. no matter the codec, gapless can be achieved but it is up to the software/firmware. if the fuze had it and aac, it might be a contender. but then, i do prefer all metal to all plastic.

I have a Sansa player (e200) but started using Rockbox from the start, so I didn't know the native firmware wouldn't play gapless even on inherently gapless formats.

If itunes depends on the database to give you gapless, then tunes encoded by itunes, whether mp3 or aac, won't play gapless on any DAP other than Ipod, so you are kinda locked in (where have I heard that before?) I'll try encoding some aac and mp3 with itunes and see if it plays gapless on known gapless capable players (Rockbox and foobar)

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #65 of 83
and pretty soon the e200 v2 series will have rockbox treatment and that could spread to the fuze and clip. I have a couple of e280 v2 that I keep for when that happens.

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #66 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kicksonrt66 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try encoding some aac and mp3 with itunes and see if it plays gapless on known gapless capable players (Rockbox and foobar)

OK, I ripped some Pink Floyd (some gapless tracks on the CD) in Itunes to mp3. THey play gapless on Itunes, but not in Foobar, so Itunes doesn't seem to be filling in the track length tag.

Conclusion: Itune's "gapless" mp3 is done through the database and is only for the benefit of Ipod.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #67 of 83
I prefer any DAP than an Ipod. Itunes is adequate.. but I just don't like being tied down to one program and being spoon fed. Also they keep updating that software so many times now that I got fed up and have stopped with all the updates. Anyways I've left Apple for greener pastures.

So I pick the Sansa Fuse. Not having a built-in FM tuner is a crime. Just look at how small the Fuse is compared with a Nano. Both very small but somehow the Fuse and the Clip can fit an FM tuner. Maybe Apple feels threatened that people will buy less music from their Itunes store with the free music from the radio? Another thing is the Fuse supports open formats like OGG and FLAC. Finally, Fuse wins hands down in its clever future proofing with expandable memory. I see myself buying a 32 Gb or even a 64 Gb micro SDHC card down the road. Any player these days that doesn't have expandable memory seems to be a throw away product that have a fixed shelf life.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #70 of 83
I don't understand why gapless is such a deal breaker for people. Seriously it's just a one second gap in your music. It's not the end of the world. Sometimes I think people are being just overly critical.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #72 of 83
if the sansa players get rockbox only then will the be worth it. all plastic. no aac. no gapless. poor battery life. calling people sheep.

no way. rockbox is it for them.

sony too are on a thin line but at least they support aac and on japanese units gapless, recording etc.

every tried to be 'into' your music when a gap occurs? im not sure what your other hobbies are but... trust me.

Intermittent water balloons during sex are to arousal and orgasm what gaps are to music.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #73 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the sansa players get rockbox only then will the be worth it. all plastic. no aac. no gapless. poor battery life. calling people sheep.

no way. rockbox is it for them.

sony too are on a thin line but at least they support aac and on japanese units gapless, recording etc.

every tried to be 'into' your music when a gap occurs? im not sure what your other hobbies are but... trust me.

Intermittent water balloons during sex are to arousal and orgasm what gaps are to music.

Hey I like the water balloons
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back