iPod Nano 4G vs. Sansa Fuze
Nov 2, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

Nilosaur

New Head-Fier
I'm going to pick up one of these tomorrow and I'm just curious which of these you would choose.

I currently have an iPod Nano 2g that I'm content with, but I'm tired of switching my music out so I'm looking for something bigger that could fit all of my tracks. My sister needs an mp3 player so I'm just going to get a new one and give her my old one.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, all of my music files are 160kbps mp3s. I'm not looking for anything special here, I just want a small flash player that will play my music when I go to the gym or walk from class-to-class.

So what do you recommend for me? Thanks!

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 83
The newer iPods do sound MUCH better than the older ones, but the Fuze is just... wow. And it has FLAC support.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 83
iPod all the way...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 83
I'd go w/the Sony S63X series. Fantastic SQ, excellent EQ and effects, great battery life, small, excellent build quality, custom wallpapers & themes, FM tuner, goes to 16gb (I'd love a 32gb myself). All around, just fantastic!!! Even comes w/a decent pair of starter IEM's.

NWZS638FREDWM.png

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 83
You can have a 24gb Fuze for less than the 16gb Nano. An 8gb Fuze costs ~$100 (less if you shop around) and a 16gb card can be had for $75, and that price should drop in the coming months. Plus, there's a 32gb card on the horizon. The Fuze can become a 40gb DAP; The Ipod will be 16gb forever...

SQ, flac support, drag and drop, not being locked into Itunes all favor the Fuze. The Ipod gets the nod for video ... and for "fashion..."

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 83
Fuze sounds great w/no EQ, horrible if you put the EQ on. The Sony S63X series sounds fantastic w/EQ off, and splendid w/the EQ on. Winner, IMO, is the SONY!!!!

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 83
Gapless playback in 2008 is a MUST.
Every mp3 player that doesn´t support it is just plain stupid, no matter how good the SQ is.
For albums that have silences between the tracks, I use my Clip for superior SQ with my SE530, but for all else, iPod all the way.
Plus the fact that the iPod has a dedicated line-out and accessories galore. That's about enough for me to pull me to the iPod side.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 83
Just for gapless alone, get a Zune. For the superior SQ, get a SONY!!!

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 83
I've never really understood the apparent obsession with gapless playback. Never really been an issue for me.

I don't have either yet, but have decided on the Fuze. For what it's worth, I remember reading something about a fade in/out setting on the Fuze. Not sure how adjustable it is though.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 83
There is no "fade in/fade out " on the Fuze. The SQ is excellent though, and at around $100.00USD for an 8gb player, it's a good deal. The SQ on the Sony players is, IMO, a step up from the Fuze. I have a 4gb Fuze, a clip, and a Sony A829. Of the 3, the A829 is the better sounding player.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 83
Weird, must have confused it with another player. I've been doing lots of 'research' on all the current models recently and I must have crossed a wire or something.

What is it about the Sony that sounds better?

It doesn't really matter either way, as the micro SDHC expansion slot is what sealed the deal for me.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back