iPod Nano 3g, upgrade to what? 5th gen, 7th gen, Cowon?
Feb 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fangle

New Head-Fier
I've had a 3rd gen iPod Nano for a long time and I like it. 

3G PRO
Good battery life
Easy podcast handling - finding, downloading, and playing
Handles DRM for library audio books via Overdrive
Small so it fits in my pocket
No touch screen
With a polycarbonate and silicone case it is pretty well protected and the screen is covered
Sound quality with x10i IEMs is acceptable
Car head unit plays by bypassing the iPod's DAC but allows iPod control, all via a generic cable

3G CON
EQ settings sound bad
Limited storage 4GB
Part of the Apple borg
Lacking in bass response

With that bit of detail, I would like to upgrade.  Escaping from Apple would be nice but I am not really for or against.  I have very little purchased iTunes content.  I'd like the better sound of the Cowon but like the small size and clickwheel of the Nano 5G.

The iPod Nano 5th gen seems great for me.  Same interface and small size and non-touchscreen interface make it a good choice.  I can buy refurb units for ~$100.  I can't find good info on how it sounds compared to the 3G I have now.  Anyone know?

iPod Nano 7th gen looks interesting but I would not be able to use it with some of the accessories I have.  Most reviews say it sounds pretty good.  Bluetooth would be nice, but the touchscreen is a strike against it.  Still seems to fit in the pocket well but I worry that it would be fragile with the large screen.  I would not want to spend more than this.

Cowon C2 appears to be the best sounding of the bunch.  It seems to struggle with audio books and podcasts - bookmarks and resume functionality get mixed reviews.  Will it do DRM files?  Will it play m4a podcasts?  I've seen reviews say yes and no.  Seems bulkier and it would have the same worries about the screen and overall damage.

Advice?  Impressions of how these options compare to the Nano 3G?

Thanks,

Ed

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not sure why you'd care about the touchscreen on the Nano 7th Gen. just don't use it.

I use the buttons on the side of mine to navigate playlists/change track/pause/volume etc. - or those on my own x10is..never really need to have the screen on. I also get better battery life, not ever having the screen on unless I'm syncing the Nano.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reminder about the x10i working with the new Nano.  I had not thought of that, since it doesn't work with the 3G I have now.

I am worried about the touch screen because it makes the player easier to break.  I like non-touch screens that can live under plastic cases to prevent damage.  There is a good sized nick in the screen area of the polycarbonate cover on my 3G Nano.  Without the cover the screen would have been smashed.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 4
It seems pretty durable to me - you could put a screen protector on there, I don't bother.

Of all the players I've ever had (Cowons, Sansas, Sonys Samsungs et al.) I find the 7th Gen. Nano to be the best in terms of function and aesthetics. It gets more use than either of my new Touches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back