Ipod Nano 2g vs 5.5g (SQ)
Feb 8, 2007 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
My ipod 4g hit the dust. I think its the hard drive. I am now looking for a new DAP. I am thinking about a flash based player so that I don't have to worry about the hard drive. I like how small and thin the nano is. Problem is, I enjoy the larger capacity of the hard drive based players.

The big question: Does the nano 2 sound as good as the ipod 5.5? Thanks for your help...

Feb 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 8
if you use low end headphones, then they are the same.

i'm pretty sure the 5.5g sounds better though, especially through the line-out dock. the nano 2g isn't too popular for its SQ

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 8
The HD on my 4G died and I decided to move to flash and picked up the 8GB Nano. Through the headphone out, with decent phones, it was a step down producing a more tinny, treble focused signature. Went with a refurbished 30GB 5.0G iPod video instead (from Apple.com). Saved $75 over the nano and got back the sound. I didn't compare the line-outs (wasn't using much at the time) so not sure there. Now I'm using the line-outs almost exclusively so very curious about that.

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 8
I have never used the 5.5g ipod but I think the 2nd gen nano sounds the best so far out of the headphone jack. I guess you just have to listen to both yourself and make that decision
wink.gif
I do not know about the lineouts.

I was planning an ipod shootout but we won't be having 5.5g so wouldn't help you anyway
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had at the same time a 8gb 2nd gen Nano and a 5.5g 80 gb Ipod with video.
I ended up selling the Nano because the 5.5g sounds better both from the headphone jack and lineout.

Feb 8, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 8
I had a 2G nano but returned because of SQ. Been enjoying a refurbished 5G for several months, but also began to miss the portability of flash players. Got a couple of refurbed Shuffles to bridge that gap but now get somewhat annoyed at their quirks (no screen, resume issue).

Just got another 2G nano and for right now I'm liking it. Using with my SF3Studios which I didn't have previously and they seem to have decent synergy with the nano. Just can't beat the form factor and usability of the little sucker...makes it worth slight reduction in SQ. If I really want to listen seriously I break out 5G w/amp. To just run around, play with the dog, etc, it's nano, baby!

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the help guys. I just want something that sounds as good as the 4G. I love the nano design but I'd rather get the ipod if it sounds better. I enjoyed the sound with my Senn PX-100 right out of the headphone jack. I was looking at a new 5.5g, but a refurb 5g is a nice deal at $179. Anyone have any negatives concerning the refurb program?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back